Supermicro SuperChassis 813MTQ-350CB Fan Noise

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

caveat lector

Jan 4, 2014
Oregon, USA
I have a number of 5U rackmount servers built various times in the past running 24/7 in my basement. I used large cases, because there is plenty of space in my server room, they provide more expansion possibilities, and especially because large, slow-turning fans can efficiently move lots of air through large cases quietly. Small fans have to rotate faster to move the same amount of air, which makes them noisier. Furthermore, fans of any size and speed generally create less noise blowing air through large chambers than small ones.

I want add a couple new servers with Supermicro X10SLM+-LN4F uATX motherboards and Intel Xeon E3-1230V3 Haswell 3.3GHz 80W CPUs. uATX mounting holes are of course backward compatible with full-size ATX cases, so the new servers could be built in similar large cases. However, they will each have only three hard drives and everything would fit in Supermicro SuperChassis 813MTQ-350CB 1U cases.

My primary concern with that option is noise. Noise from the existing servers isn't noticeable outside the server room with the door closed and doesn't bother me when I occasionally need to work in there. However, the addition of a couple loud screamers would ruin that situation, which is the reason for this post. I will be interested in whatever you know about Supermicro SuperChassis 813MTQ-350CB or other similar 1U case noise levels. Are they significantly higher than from typical desktop computer fans? Could fans in a couple of those cases be heard in an adjoining room with the door shut?

MikeC

Apr 27, 2013
UK
I run a couple of these in my rack which is about 3 metres away from me and after the initial spin up, the fan slow down to a point where they are inaudilble above the the noise of a fan heater that's beside me now!