Supermicro SuperChassis 743AC-1200B-SQ Replacement Fans

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
I have a Supermicro SuperChassis 743AC-1200B-SQ linked below:

It came with some 2,800 RPM quiet fans. I'm planning on installing a pair of Titan RTX cards into the case, and I'm pretty sure the fans it came with aren't going to move enough air to adequately cool the cards. I'm looking at replacing the stock fans with something like this:

In the description it says this fan is compatible with the SC743 chassis, but when I enter my case model in the validity checker toward the bottom of the page it says it hasn't been tested with my system.

Is there any reason these fans wouldn't work with my particular case? The hot-swap fan enclosure looks pretty much identical, but I just wanted to make sure I'm not missing something.

For comparison, these are the stock fans that came with my case:

Thanks

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
Thanks, yeah, I was looking at those fans as well, but wasn't sure if they'd be enough. I figured I'd err on the side of caution and get the faster ones. I'm pretty sure either option would be compatible though, but just want to make sure before I buy them. Anyway, I'll try sending Supermicro an Email and see what they say.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I have the 745BAC-R1K28B2 with the 9.4k rpm middle and rear fans.
Under load they are very loud. For me they were too loud and I replaced them with the 5k rpm fans.

@hippyhappo
The titan rtx are actively cooled. I think that even the low noise fans from your chassis should remove enough air and not cause the titans fans to run at full speed.

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
I have the 745BAC-R1K28B2 with the 9.4k rpm middle and rear fans.
Under load they are very loud. For me they were too loud and I replaced them with the 5k rpm fans.

@hippyhappo
The titan rtx are actively cooled. I think that even the low noise fans from your chassis should remove enough air and not cause the titans fans to run at full speed.
Thanks, the problem with the Titan RTX is that they don't use the blower style cooler that the Quadro cards use, so it dumps all the heat into the case. The 2800 RPM fans that came with my case really don't move a lot of air, so I suspect it would be recirculating a lot of the hot air (especially with two of them). I believe the 9.4K RPM fans were designed with the newer 200W+ Intel processors in mind, so I suspect that's probably my best bet. I have no doubt that they're loud, but l have the server in a separate room so it's not really a big deal for me. If I were in the same room as the server, I would probably take my chances with the 5000 RPM fans you mentioned (or opt for water cooling).

msg7086

May 2, 2017
Why don't you just install them and see how bad it becomes. Maybe your current fan can actually handle it? Fire some benchmark and see how hot it becomes, and then decide how many fans you'd like to replace.

Also you can maybe buy 1 first, and validate, before buying more.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Also you can maybe buy 1 first
Another thing I remembered: the sq version comes with two fans and one dummy in the middle fan wall. (The rear fans is a special attachment with a single 92mm fan, replacing it with two 80mm fans requires two adapters). Adding a third 2.8k rpm fan to the middle fan wall could help to cool zone b/the add on cards.

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
Why don't you just install them and see how bad it becomes. Maybe your current fan can actually handle it? Fire some benchmark and see how hot it becomes, and then decide how many fans you'd like to replace.

Also you can maybe buy 1 first, and validate, before buying more.
I don't have the cards yet. Just trying to be proactive, given that it can take a couple weeks for the fans to arrive. I had a couple Intel P3608 SSDs in a few of the PCIe slots and had to change the PowerGovernorMode using Intel SSD Data Center Tool because they were overheating (i.e. the stock fans really don't move a lot of air), although this might have been partially due to the form factor of the SSDs (I suspect they were designed for a smaller chassis with more concentrated airflow). Anyway, I sent Supermicro an Email and am waiting to hear back. Hopefully they can confirm / deny compatibility.

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
Another thing I remembered: the sq version comes with two fans and one dummy in the middle fan wall. (The rear fans is a special attachment with a single 92mm fan, replacing it with two 80mm fans requires two adapters). Adding a third 2.8k rpm fan to the middle fan wall could help to cool zone b/the add on cards.
Yeah, I didn't think you could purchase the adapters to convert the 92mm fan to the two 80mm fans (they don't come with the exhaust fans do they?). I figure I can always swap out the 92mm fan for a different fan of the same size if it's an issue, but I'm mostly concerned about moving air through the PCIe slots. Also, I actually do have 3 2.8k fans in the chassis (I purchased an additional 2 with the case), but I'm only using 3 of them cause it's pretty bunched up near the top of the case where the 4th one fits.

msg7086

May 2, 2017
That makes sense however SSDs are passive cooled but graphics cards are actively cooled, so the heat should be brought away from the card pretty quick. Then blowing hot air out of the chassis is a much easier job. My 0.02.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Do you have the Supermicro part number(s) for the adapters to convert the single 92mm fan to two 80mm fans?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I don't have the part #s anymore :(

Edit: Found a possible partnumber in the thunderbird archive: CBL-0296L

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
I think I may have found a workable part number on the Supermicro eStore. I submitted a request to Supermicro to see if this fan kit is compatible with a CSE-743 series chassis.

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
In case anybody else is interested, I contacted Supermicro and they said the 9,400 RPM fans I linked will work with all the SC743 series chassis. I imagine this also applies to the 5,000 RPM fans as well.

hippyhappo

Oct 3, 2016
I think I may have found a workable part number on the Supermicro eStore. I submitted a request to Supermicro to see if this fan kit is compatible with a CSE-743 series chassis.

That would be great if these are compatible with the SC743.

These are the 80mm exhaust fans for the SC743 chassis, but it doesn't look like they include the mounting hardware:

It looks like it's the exact same fan, so that kit might work.