SuperMicro server questions for use as a JBOD DAS?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Defcon1

Aug 18, 2016
The IPMI would probably work, but without CPU/RAM the fans will not run as the BIOS will effectively shut the system down when it hits the checks for CPU/RAM, finds none and powers things down.

Don't you have an existing board with the 2x Xeon L5630 and LSI controller? Those CPUs are relatively low power (40W TDP, back in the time that TDP was a fairly accurate measure of the power draw of the CPU). I mean, if you are trying to keep the costs down, using what you have is the best method. Alternatively, nothing prevents you from putting an ATX, E-ATX, or micro-ATX board+CPU in the 846 (obviously the most modern boards might have issues if you need additional 8pin EPS cables and/or PCI-E power, but can be resolved by purchasing an updated power distribution board that has those cables):

ok, thats too bad.

I addressed the other option you suggest in my earlier reply. Since I already have a newer and faster pc to use as a server I don't see the point in using the old Nehalem era hw.