SuperMicro server board (X8DTH-6F) in a consumer case?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

server

Feb 1, 2018
I've seen plenty of cases on the web of people wanting to do the opposite of me and put a different motherboard in a SuperMicro chassis. What is required to put a SuperMicro motherboard in a consumer case? I want to put a X8DTH-6F into a LIAN LI PC-D8000 case. My main concern is the SuperMicro front panel connections. Do they all need to be connected for the board to boot? The consumer cases obviously won't have all of the same connections for fan or PSU failure LEDs etc.

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
You can just connect the on/off to the front panel connector if you have split cables in your Lian Li case for normal operation. Heck, you don't even need front panel connected just to boot since you have IPMI.

Tette

Nov 8, 2017
I have two Supermicro server boards runnig in Corsair consumer cases, just do like nthu9280 says, you need to connect power on switch to front panel connector just like any other motherboard. x9dri-ln4f+ in a Corsair carbide air 540 and a X8DTi-F in an old corsair graphite 600t. No problem at all. Just need to put in a couple of extra stand offs.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
That X8DTH-6F is an E-ATX form factor, which should be relatively easier to fit into non-supermicro cases that support E-ATX "like" form factor. What i've learned is that E-ATX isn't standardized very well, so a few of the stand-off locations may or may not be different, depending on the brand of the case. That said, *most* of them will match up, and where you might be missing a standoff, you can either create a dummy standoff (cut off the threads to a stand off), or drill and tap a hole to add a standoff.

Not the same board, but just last year I built a X9DAi system into a NZXT Phantom 820 case. I did have to add a few stand offs; but I have the tools for that so it wasn't a big deal.

What is harder to install into non-Supermicro cases are the ones that are "EE-ATX", which are extra wide, usually to allow for more DIMM capacity or something like that. Anyway, they are much harder to find a non-Supermicro case that will fit because they often extend an inch to the left (from the backpanel view) of the rear i/O plate; in most standard cases, that location has a PSU installed.