supermicro sc847 45bay jbod + 9201-16e

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jannis Jacobsen

Mar 19, 2016
Norway
hi!

what would be the best way to connect a 9201-16e controller to a 45bay sm jbod chassis?
I know the chassis has 2 ports.
would it be possible to use both ports to 1 hba?

-Jannis

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
hi!

what would be the best way to connect a 9201-16e controller to a 45bay sm jbod chassis?
I know the chassis has 2 ports.
would it be possible to use both ports to 1 hba?

-Jannis
Doesn't this chassis have 4 ports on the back, 2 for the front set of disks and 2 for the back? But you are right you can use one of them for each controller to two of your card ports such that all the disks are exposed to the single HBA.

With the E26 model that has dual expanders, which I guess where the 4 ports come in. I believe that helps with redundancy but I'm not sure about throughput, not in a position to check at the moment!

Reactions: Jannis Jacobsen

HomeLabber

Dec 13, 2015
Doesn't this chassis have 4 ports on the back, 2 for the front set of disks and 2 for the back? But you are right you can use one of them for each controller to two of your card ports such that all the disks are exposed to the single HBA.

With the E26 model that has dual expanders, which I guess where the 4 ports come in. I believe that helps with redundancy but I'm not sure about throughput, not in a position to check at the moment!
If you have the E26, the supermicro manual for the chassis (atleast with the 846) goes into a ton of detail on the different wiring configurations you can do for the sets of connector on each of the sets of backplane expanders within the chassis.

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
Bum I forgot about this. I have a portable air conditioner in front of my SC's at the moment but I'll try to get some photos over the weekend.

Reactions: Jannis Jacobsen