Supermicro SC836 Case - rebuild question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

11Blade

Aug 8, 2016
I recently got a bargain on an SC836 chassis that has a BPN-SAS2-EL1 expander, X7DCL-I board with an LSI3081E-R sas HBA.

I have to archive some project data from some SAS JBOD's that will be repurposed for other research (50TB)

My goals
1. use the 16 bay to build a storage box to save the data for nearline access (ZFS with 6/8/10TB drives)
2. integrate a server to do some data analysis
3. use same server for some server-sided rendering for remote data visualization
4. VM capable to spin up instances for projects as needed.

Clearly the X7 board and controller must go. Where do I go from here?!!!

I am really confused on whether I should go with supermicro X9 dual LGA2011 board and populate with E5-2670 SR0KX or move on to the X10 boards and go with a pair of E5 v3 processors. (money unfortunately is an object but I'd rather future proof if the bang for the buck delta is small)

For this 836 case , are there some Supermicro boards that do not fit or recommended like

I plan on getting an M1215 HBA and flashing to LSI 3008 SAS3. I have an R610 and R710 that are hobby servers and this would be my workhorse for project work for my home setup.

Btw: even though the server will go in the basement where cooling is not as issue - this is awfully loud. Like jet engine loud. Any tricks on mitigating this ?

thank you

Terry Kennedy

Jun 25, 2015
New York City
www.glaver.org
I recently got a bargain on an SC836 chassis that has a BPN-SAS2-EL1 expander, X7DCL-I board with an LSI3081E-R sas HBA.
Is this the newer chassis with the removable plate for 2 x 2.5" below the power supplies, or the one with the fixed plate and ground lug?

I know the newer chassis have 4-wire PWM fans, I'm not sure about the older ones.
Btw: even though the server will go in the basement where cooling is not as issue - this is awfully loud. Like jet engine loud. Any tricks on mitigating this ?
Which power supplies do you have? My SC836s have the 920SQ supplies. I think the systems are pretty quiet, but there in 2 racks with lots of other noisy stuff so I can't say for sure.

11Blade

Aug 8, 2016
Is this the newer chassis with the removable plate for 2 x 2.5" below the power supplies, or the one with the fixed plate and ground lug?

I know the newer chassis have 4-wire PWM fans, I'm not sure about the older ones.

Which power supplies do you have? My SC836s have the 920SQ supplies. I think the systems are pretty quiet, but there in 2 racks with lots of other noisy stuff so I can't say for sure.
I have a fixed plate and no slot for 2 2.5" drives in the back. (So it sounds like its older)

The power supplies are SM 1200W x 2 (part PWS-1K21P-1R)

The fans are labeled NIDEC and have 4 wires but I do not know if they are PWM from the markings

11Blade

Aug 8, 2016
I think I have decided to go with a SM X9Dr3-LN4+ because DDr3 ram and processor combo will be cheaper. I do not know however if I can get this board to fit with the heatsink of the rear processor very close to the rear chassis fans. Anybody done this?

11Blade.