Supermicro SC745TQ-920B compatible with newer boards?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Brian Stretch

Jan 26, 2017
I found a good local deal on a surplus X8DT3/X8DTi in a SC745TQ-920B | 4U | Chassis | Products | Super Micro Computer, Inc.
SC745TQ-920B tower case. I'd like to replace the board with a newer series board, maybe a X9 dual CPU or even a H11 series but the compatibility list for the chassis is concerning. How strictly should I interpret that list? This will be for ESXi 6.7 so the X8 is too old. Not having to pay shipping on an E-ATX server chassis is appealing. I suspect the power supply not having all the connectors needed by more modern boards might be my biggest concern?

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
Should be fine. It supports E-ATX as per the link you provided and it looks like that PDB has dual 8-pin EPS connectors.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
There are newer 745 chassis for x11 and h11? (epyc) platforms, with newer psus (titanium) and more powerfull midwall fans (up to 13k rpm, 80mm :D)

Brian Stretch

Jan 26, 2017
Thanks. Would I be able to swap in the 1280W Platinum redundant power supplies that are listed in the manual in this model if I need more power? Think the stock fan configuration would be adequate for a passively cooled NVIDIA Tesla M10 GPU? (Probably not, I have an active cooler inbound from China, but it'd be nice not to need it.) If someone else hasn't bought the box I'll pick it up this afternoon.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Would I be able to swap in the 1280W Platinum redundant power supplies that are listed in the manual in this model if I need more power?
That should be possible.
Think the stock fan configuration would be adequate for a passively cooled NVIDIA Tesla M10 GPU?
Can't find any usefull links.
I know that supermicro has some external fans for gpu optimized 745 that can be attached to the pcie slots, not sure if they are for better cooling or obligatory for gpus.