Supermicro SC216 Chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
I'm assembling a Supermicro SC216 chassis with a Supermicro X9DR3-LN4F+ motherboard and have a couple of questions:

1) The motherboard I'm using has three power input connectors: a single 24-Pin power connector and two 8-Pin power connectors. The Power Distribution Board (PDB) in the SC216 chassis has a single 24-Pin power connector cable and a single 8-Pin power connector cable which I've connected to the motherboard. However, there isn't a second 8-Pin power connector cable coming from the PDB, instead there are two 4-pin power connectors. Can I use both of those 4 pin connectors cables to power the last 8-Pin power connector on the board?

2) During assembly, I noticed a blue jumper cap had popped off either the backplane (SAS-216A) or my motherboard. Given where I found it in the chassis, I think it may have come off of the backplane. There is currently a blue jumper on JP84 which controls SGPIO or I2C. The only other area I think it could have come from is JP18. If someone has this backplane can they confirm if they have a blue jumper on JP18. Also, anyone have any idea what this jumper is used for? The manual doesn't say much beyond the following two works: Buzzer Reset.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks, Peanuthead. I've attached both 4-Pin connectors to the last 8-Pin connector on the board.

Hopefully, someone has some info on their JP18 "Buzzer Reset" jumper.

Finally, it looks like there may be another issue. The PDB comes with six of those 4-Pin power connectors which I've plugged into the 6 power ports on the 216A backplane. However, at this point, I have no other power connector available for my Intel S3700 SSD boot drive as I'm storing the drive internally in the chassis rather that in one of the 24 SSD drive bays. Is there an adaptor I can use to power that boot drive?

Peanuthead

Jun 12, 2015
The system wasn't meant to be used that way that is why you don't have the connection. Without seeing the PS I am not able to tell you if there is an adapter. The SM chassis manual should have the default jumper settings.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
There actually are some 216 chassis models that have the ability to mount 2.5 inch drives in an optional rear cage:

I'm just not sure if these models require an adaptor to connect to those SSDs or if the chassis ship with a different power distribution board that includes the connectors.

Unfortunately, the SM manual has no info on JP18 outside of the description "Buzzer Reset".

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The SC216 PDB should have two FDD power connectors. They are generally used (with an adapter) to power the optional DVD drive or a single SSD stored in the space used by the DVD. SM sells a 2.5" disk mount that sits in this space.

I've used cables like this to connect the 4-pin FDD connector to an SSD mounted inside the chassis:

4-pin Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Adapter Cable Compatible w/ Dell MX714 | eBay

Alternatively, and not as neat/tidy, you can always use a molex splitter attached to one of the backplane power connectors.

Reactions: Cipher

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
The ones I have all have Molex->SATA adapters, and they're all bundled/wrapped with the rest of the wires, really just as neat as-if they were built-in :)

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks Piglover, I have three of those 4-Pin DVD/Floppy connectors that aren't being used so that adaptor looks like it will be perfect. So frustrating when you have everything except one little adaptor! :)

T_Minus, all my Molex connectors are plugged into the 216A backplane so I'd need a male Molex, connected to one of the PDB connectors, that then splits off to a female Molex connector and a SATA Connector. I was looking for this type of part earlier, but all the adaptors I saw had two male Molex connectors.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Ok, going to order three of these from the link posted by Piglover in case I need more in the future. If anyone else comes across this thread, there is a similar Dell/Foxconn branded part (MX714), but it is much shorter than the 9-inch one in that eBay link. I prefer the extra length so it will give me more mounting options.

Finally, anyone who can tell me what that JP18 Buzzer Reset jumper on the 216A backplane is used for and whether it should be open or closed by default on this backplane?

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
The SC216 PDB should have two FDD power connectors. They are generally used (with an adapter) to power the optional DVD drive or a single SSD stored in the space used by the DVD. SM sells a 2.5" disk mount that sits in this space.

I've used cables like this to connect the 4-pin FDD connector to an SSD mounted inside the chassis:

4-pin Floppy FDD to SATA Power Converter Adapter Cable Compatible w/ Dell MX714 | eBay

Alternatively, and not as neat/tidy, you can always use a molex splitter attached to one of the backplane power connectors.
@PigLover when you say PDB (I assume pwr dist board) is that internal to the PSU, I sure don't see a 4-pin FDD pwr connector unless it is inside near the back of the PSU/PDB housing? Throw me a bone here :-D

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@PigLover when you say PDB (I assume pwr dist board) is that internal to the PSU, I sure don't see a 4-pin FDD pwr connector unless it is inside near the back of the PSU/PDB housing? Throw me a bone here :-D
SC216 is a rather flexible chassis and it is sold in many different configurations, with different backplanes and PSU options. So its impossible to answer completely generically.

Most of the versions I have seen are configured with hot-swappable power supplies that slide in from the back. The PDB is the Power Distribution Bus that they slide into and the cable bundle to distribute power comes from the PBD. There are at least a dozen different PDB part numbers for this and related chassis - so the exact set of cables varies.

However, in configurations that I have seen, the PDB has 1, 2 or 4 FDD power connectors in the cable bundle. They are often unused, so might be tucked in tight, secured with a cable tie and perhaps somewhat hidden. Dig around the cables and it should be there. Unless your PDB doesn't have one :)

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Yeah I must be blind, heres what mine looks like, only extra cable is two white 4 pin mobo pwr cables that I did not need to use unless they are tucked up in the back of this hog (I see screws, dare to crack it?)

sc216-PSU-PDB.jpg

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Snapped a shot of my backplane only two jumpers I see, both have a single pin open on bottom (hard to see from angle I took the pic).
sc216-backplane-jumpers.jpg

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yeah I must be blind, heres what mine looks like, only extra cable is two white 4 pin mobo pwr cables that I did not need to use unless they are tucked up in the back of this hog (I see screws, dare to crack it?)
They could be tucked inside the PDB cover, but it really doesn't look like it. Guess you got one that doesn't have them...

Sorry man - but the OP seems to be happy.

Cipher

Aug 8, 2014
Thanks, Whitey! That second blue jumper to the right of the SAS Port is what I was looking for as that's JP18 for the 216A backplane. Mine is currently empty (I only have the blue jumper on the left side) so I'm going to assume that's where my blue jumper fell off from when I was working in the case. Every picture I came across on the net was either too blurry or cutoff the right side of this backplane, but you've cleared it up for me. Still no idea what this Buzzer Reset jumper is used for, so I'll add that to my notes to look into later.

As for the 4-Pin floppy connectors, mine are connected near the 6 Molex connectors coming out of the PDB. Whitey, looking at your pic, it looks like there may be one tucked underneath that second Molex connector on the left side of the image. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the white/beige housing for that connector.

Also, according to the PDF link below from Supermicro, both PDB's they list for the SC216 models (PDB-PT216-2824 & PDB-PT216-8824) include three 4-Pin Floppy/DVD connectors:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/power_supply/PSU_cableList.pdf

cheezehead

Sep 23, 2012
Midwest, US
There actually are some 216 chassis models that have the ability to mount 2.5 inch drives in an optional rear cage:

I'm just not sure if these models require an adaptor to connect to those SSDs or if the chassis ship with a different power distribution board that includes the connectors.

Unfortunately, the SM manual has no info on JP18 outside of the description "Buzzer Reset".
There are two versions of 2x2.5" rear sleds in the rear. The official Supermicro one require's a B-style chassis, not very common on eBay and there is the unofficial one as seen in the picture. Both are functional but the main difference is the Supermicro solution sites the two drives vertically next to the PSU's while the aftermarket one sits horizontal and sits over the 2nd CPU socket....I haven't popped a 2nd CPU in mine yet but technically a 1U style passive heatsink may still work with it...time will tell.

whitey

Jun 30, 2014
Thanks, Whitey! That second blue jumper to the right of the SAS Port is what I was looking for as that's JP18 for the 216A backplane. Mine is currently empty (I only have the blue jumper on the left side) so I'm going to assume that's where my blue jumper fell off from when I was working in the case. Every picture I came across on the net was either too blurry or cutoff the right side of this backplane, but you've cleared it up for me. Still no idea what this Buzzer Reset jumper is used for, so I'll add that to my notes to look into later.

As for the 4-Pin floppy connectors, mine are connected near the 6 Molex connectors coming out of the PDB. Whitey, looking at your pic, it looks like there may be one tucked underneath that second Molex connector on the left side of the image. It's hard to tell, but it looks like the white/beige housing for that connector.

Also, according to the PDF link below from Supermicro, both PDB's they list for the SC216 models (PDB-PT216-2824 & PDB-PT216-8824) include three 4-Pin Floppy/DVD connectors:

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/power_supply/PSU_cableList.pdf
@Cipher and @PigLover , you're right, I am BLIND :-D, they were indeed tucked up tight right next to the molex pwr bundle near the bottom of the backplane pwr connects. Tard points to me today, took me getting another SC216 to notice it as I was gutting an expander ver for a direct connect backplane version. SMH/feelin' silly.

Thx!

Reactions: PigLover

whitey

Jun 30, 2014

Growing annoyed that I still cannot get any of these, seller not accepting pymt/out now...has been for days, oh well maybe in the new yr.

'The seller can't accept payments right now.'

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
@whitey - there are literally dozens of sellers on eBay hawking the same/similar parts. Just search "FDD SATA Power" on ebay. You should be able to find somebody willing to take your money (also - click the "US Only" sellers option to avoid the china-based cable fabs - nothing against buying cables from China, but you seem to be in a hurry and china-post isn't fast).