Supermicro SBCs

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Looks like Supermicro is expanding to 3.5" and even 2.5" SBCs. Most have Atom E3940 CPUs and dual Intel i210-IT NICs. There's a Kaby Lake version too with 3 different CPU offerings and one with a Pentium N4200 (3.5" only), but I can't imagine that will be as popular.

Seeing as you can get them as barebones with fanless cases, I'm looking forward to getting one of these to replace my current home router. Specifically after this one because it's about the size of an Intel NUC: Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | Compact Box PC | E50-9AP

CPU performance seems to be similar to a C2558 on the E3940 version (with about half the TDP), though there's no QAT, but I think it should still handle my 100mbit of IPsec with pfSense.

Anyone else looking forward to these or have any info on availability? I have a feeling that they won't be cheap unfortunately.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
The larger E100-9AP is available for $350-400 (at least listed for sale - given the sellers no idea if its really "available"). So I'd guess this smaller version would street price for slightly less, perhaps $300-350, maybe a bit less.

I am curious how they certify for IP51 with exposed USB, HDMI and Ethernet ports...

capn_pineapple

Aug 28, 2013
Oh wow! What great little htpc/transcoding boxes, router example looks good too.

Teeny Tiny Proxmox cluster for container herding / logging / ceph funtimes

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Since the E100 is noted as "Environmental Monitor" anyone have any experience with software, and sensors for this for a DIY setup?

I'd like to make my air system more automated with sensors and some basic conditionals, just not sure what software or sensors to use... or which coding language works with what sensors?

Probably should start another thread, but thought I'd ask here :) before.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
I am curious how they certify for IP51 with exposed USB, HDMI and Ethernet ports...
That's a good question. The other side that isn't pictured has more ports too.
Since the E100 is noted as "Environmental Monitor" anyone have any experience with software, and sensors for this for a DIY setup?

I'd like to make my air system more automated with sensors and some basic conditionals, just not sure what software or sensors to use... or which coding language works with what sensors?

Probably should start another thread, but thought I'd ask here :) before.
I think it's only labeled as such on account of the fact that it's fanless, probably rated for outdoor use, and has a large number of serial ports. Presumably all sensors are serial.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Looks like Supermicro updated the photos on their product page so you can actually see all the IO now, but still no sign of it in retail.