Supermicro SAS3 HBA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine arrived today. Installed and running. All is good.

The newest driver I could find is 8/18/2017. Anybody know of a newer driver?

Reactions: Samir

Sing

Aug 3, 2016
Any card good for unraid and 8 x 18TB drives?
6gbps is ok.
Just want a cheap and stable one.
Thanks.

gb00s

Jul 25, 2018
Poland
Well those are not LSI products... So there's a reason why they are so cheap
Do you need LSI products to get a ZFS storage server up and running with 12G? I have these working in non-HP environment 24/7 and no issues. You don't even need to flash these to HBA mode.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
HaHa, I did not. Thank you sir.

View attachment 21211
And the nice thing about Supermicro HBA/RAID drivers is that that they are almost always simply straight LSI (or Avago, or Broadcom, or whatever they're called this week). Sometimes with a little branding, but not some completely rewrittten stuff that doesn't work half so well. Not like some companies do (yeah, I'm looking at you company who's name rhymes with Hell :p )

Edit: And before I get bashed by any fanboys/girls, I have lots of said company's stuff and will certainly buy more. That doesn't mean I like how they do their drivers :cool:

Last edited:

knorps

Feb 8, 2021
Guys, i just got hands on 12x LSI 9305-24i new in box, PM me or check my FS thread. Absolutely willing to let them go for a reasonable price, especially in higher volume.

Kybber

May 27, 2016
IT mode. I think the 3108 is the IR version.
Thanks for the confirmation that the received unit was in IT mode, which is what I need.
From my understanding there is an AOC-S3008L-L8e and an AOC-S3008L-L8i. The former is IT and the latter is IR, but they can both be flashed to the other mode. The AOC-S3108L-L8i is a full-blown RAID card, and is what I am replacing with an IT mode 3008 to use ZFS. I may have misunderstood, but as long as I receive an IT card I am happy :)

Reactions: Samir and Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Thanks for the confirmation that the received unit was in IT mode, which is what I need.
From my understanding there is an AOC-S3008L-L8e and an AOC-S3008L-L8i. The former is IT and the latter is IR, but they can both be flashed to the other mode. The AOC-S3108L-L8i is a full-blown RAID card, and is what I am replacing with an IT mode 3008 to use ZFS. I may have misunderstood, but as long as I receive an IT card I am happy :)
Nope. The L8e is external connectors only.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
ummm sorry @Fritz no that is incorrect.

LSI/Avago/Brocade like to use the e and i for external / internal - but SM has a different meaning for that letter.

@Kybber has it correct. I have some of both (I was using the L8i in R mode for ESXI boot).
I stand corrected.

RacerX

Nov 30, 2018
So I received my Supermicro AOC-S3008L-L8E cards this week. The bios on the first card was from 2015. That is older than the two packages on the SM site. Also I looked at the drives that they tested. Make sure to take a picture on the SAS address before you do the upgrade. The packages have two folders (IR and IT). There is a batch file that does the whole upgrade. Since I'm using ZFS I configured the usb boot drive for IT. The batch file erases the firmware and the bios (it takes a bit of time), and then it updates the firmware and the bios on the card. Finally it asks for the last 9 digits of the sas address, Get the info from you picture, Look closely at the number and remember last 9digits....

sparx

Jul 16, 2015
Sweden
There shouldnt be a need to erase the SAS address out of the board. Just use the sas erase command that removes all parts except individual information. sas3flash -o -e 6 or something like this.

RacerX

Nov 30, 2018
The command in the batch is sas3flsh -o -e 7 it wipes it out that number. On LSi SAS 9207 4i4e from 2012 I used sas3flsh -o -e 6 and the address was fine.