Supermicro proprietary power connector

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

this_is_my_nick

Sep 21, 2018
Hey there,
as many in this forum, I want to use a blade server in my office, which is simply to loud to do so without some modifications.
In my last office I ran my PC in a server-room connected via a long enough cable to my desk. As I had to move, this is not an option anymore. The server room now is too far away from my office, I also dont want to use any network protocoll.
This is the server I use as a desktop:
Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 1U | 1028GR-TR
To get it a bit silent I opened it up, unplugged all the fans and installed some Noctua NH-U12DX i4 to cool the 2697v3 cpus. This seems to work quite well, also the ram temperature is fine without the air flow. Extension cards and gpu are also fine after some switching with other servers I got.
The problem now is the freakingly loud psu. For this usage I dont need redundancy in power supply, so I figured to switch to some atx psu of which I got a few powerfull ones handy. Now there is the problem with the mainboard:
Supermicro | Products | Motherboards | Xeon® Boards | X10DRG-H
The power connector is the typical one for supermicro servers. I know, there are adapters called power distributers to get from proprietary psu to atx connections and it should be easily possible to build the same thing in the other direction (of course considering some balancing). Does anybody know of something like that available for order?
It is not supprising that supermicro does not offer that thingy, as it does not line up with what they sell, but I do hope for some third party product to exist.
Any ideas are very welcome!
Thanks in advance. Also: please excuse my writing, I am not a native speaker.

Aestr

Oct 22, 2014
Seattle
I'm not sure what you're looking for exists. It could probably be made, but the use cases for this are so small it's unlikely. The types of 3rd party PDBs you see for other servers are usually for nodes/blades that are available second hand at low prices in large quantities, which is what makes trying to power them outside of their chassis appealing to some.

The server/motherboard you have is not flooding the used market at low prices, so there just isn't the demand needed to see a custom PDB mass produced. In the end if you've already figured out how to deal with non standard layout for the GPUs the X10DRG-H is a better bet as it has the standard ATX connector. Obviously this would be a much more expensive solution than a PDB, but maybe you can sell the existing server to offset the cost.

Hopefully I'm wrong and somebody comments with an aliexpress link. Either way I hope you can figure something out:)

lstink

Aug 28, 2018
@this_is_my_nick From my understanding the server power supplies always provide only +12v, a tickling amount +12vsb but a desktop/workstation grade power supply provide +12v,-12v,+5v,+3.3v,GND. Now taking a desktop/workstation grade power supply to a server is possible but it will require a lot of tinkering, because identifying the +12v line in the server side is easy part but these server psu also provide a number of information like current voltage reading(not sure but hear about it), remote power on/off, little amount of +12v even when the psu is in off state, and a lot of others, these things are impossible to emulate in workstation/desktop psu.

Said all these, there is however one thing that you can do to quieten the screaming psu, this approach is a complete diy solution and will definitely void your warranty you must have some basic to intermediately electronics knowledge. When I used a HP 700w psu in my desktop, I found out that the fan is very loud and I included a DC - DC Buck converter on the psu fan's line and reduced the voltage and it helped in reducing the noise(remember not quite). The other way is to drill out the top plate and add in a 120mm pwm fan with enough CFM so that thing stays cool, but it only works if the psu is big enough on the top side.

Hope this helps you in someway.

this_is_my_nick

Sep 21, 2018
Thanky you for your kind replies.
I dont think I can frankenstein that psu, it is build very compactly. Reducing voltage on the fan might also not be enough, its just to small in diameter. Although the psu readings are quite cold (around 30°C), so there would be room for tinkering.
It looks like I have to take the bullet and get a new Chassis and Mainboard, which I really hoped I could avoid. Maybe I can sell the barebone with the redundant psu for a few dollars, so it could cover part of the costs. It is a really nice server chassis for a server room.