Supermicro Powersupply "uses" 50000Watts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

rootgremlin

Jun 9, 2016
on the ipmi page of my Server, an
Supermicro
825TQC-r740LPB Chassis with an
X11SPL-F Mainboard and an
PWS-501P-1R Powersupply i repeatedly get readings of the powerconsumption of up to 50kW.
This messes up every form of logging.

i had already tried with another powersupply on this server,
but on an X10slm+-ln4f i also have the exact same behaviour.

does anyone know a fix or a workaround?

here are images of the ipmi-webpage and the pnp4nagios graphs, which are all totally useless because of this.....
ipmi_power01.png
ipmi_power02.png

unless i select a custom time range.

ipmi_power03.png

nasomi

Jan 11, 2016
You have a 454 amp breaker in your house? otherwise, I'd guess you're reading it wrong or there's an error in your instruments.

rootgremlin

Jun 9, 2016
You have a 454 amp breaker in your house? otherwise, I'd guess you're reading it wrong or there's an error in your instruments.
Yeah, and it is glowing and i cant's see anymore ;)
No, not my instruments. The 1st pic is from the build in ipmi webinterface, the other pics are pnp4nagios graphs which use the nagios Performance Data that rely on a plugin that gets its data from redfish.

The point is, i already switched powersupplys, and i even have the exact same behaviour on a totally different Mainboard, the X10SLM+-LN4F from my signature.

rootgremlin

Jun 9, 2016
it would be more like 217A over here (==230V)
You tell me if i am doing something wrong when i read the 5 digits from the picture (the marked 49239 Highest Peak Watts)

Thats my whole point, what the f... could it be???? since it is happening with an x10 AND an x11 board across 3 differen Powersupplys.
Every time i get these spikes.

Someone with a helpful insigth. Maybe someone who knows how the wattage is measured and gets displayed in the ipmi webinterface?
something that could explain it happening across multiple boards and powersupplys.

chassis PDB probably at fault
Also not similar in the case of the X10 and x11 motherboard.

rootgremlin

Jun 9, 2016
at least i am not the only one....
For now i have fixed it by eliminating unreasonable (i.e. >500W on an 500W Powersupply) readings from the reporting and in extend on my graphical logging.
Now i have a nice little graph that i can work with.
Bildschirmfoto 2020-09-07 um 21.44.29.png