Supermicro power cable retention clip

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
I've been doing some digging but can't seem to find any type of "retention" clip that would work with supermicro hotswap PSUs. Basically I'm trying to prevent the power cord getting yanked out when sliding out the server. I've got a CSE-836 and CSE-825 chassis with dual hotswap PSU.

Question for everyone, what kind of solution would you recommend to prevent the inevitable accidental unplugging of a power supply?

kapone

May 23, 2015
I've been doing some digging but can't seem to find any type of "retention" clip that would work with supermicro hotswap PSUs. Basically I'm trying to prevent the power cord getting yanked out when sliding out the server. I've got a CSE-836 and CSE-825 chassis with dual hotswap PSU.

Question for everyone, what kind of solution would you recommend to prevent the inevitable accidental unplugging of a power supply?
umm...a lock on the server room door?

Edit: And be careful while sliding out the server?

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
If your power cables are being pulled out when you slide the case, isn't this your power cables being far too short?

Regardless, the proper way to do this is to use longer cables routed through a cable management arm. If you look under the accessories table for each of your SM cases you'll see the proper cable managament arm to go with it, e.g. the MCP-290-00073-0N for the SC825TQ-R740LPB.

ajs

Mar 27, 2018
Minnesota
If your power cables are being pulled out when you slide the case, isn't this your power cables being far too short?

Regardless, the proper way to do this is to use longer cables routed through a cable management arm. If you look under the accessories table for each of your SM cases you'll see the proper cable managament arm to go with it, e.g. the MCP-290-00073-0N for the SC825TQ-R740LPB.
I've never actually yanked the power out accidentally, but I see other vendors with such retention clips and was curious about the supermicro chassis solution.

EffrafaxOfWug

Radioactive Member
Feb 12, 2015
Ah I assumed that when you said "prevent" you meant it had already happened. Most of the IEC C13 retention clips I've seen have only been on network kit or on the PDU side; I don't think the SM PSUs have holes for aftermarket retaining clips.

Regardless, IMHO the "right" way to solve unplugging any cable in the back of your rackmount is to use cable management arms. Not only do they force you to keep the right amount of slack, they also stop that slack getting tangled up with cables from other servers (I bet many StHers have been in the situation there sliding out a server is impossible due to cables from other servers being entangled).

If you don't think this justifies the expense, then my preferred workaround is MacGuyvering up some umbilicals with velcro ties so that you have to overcome the velcro before you end up tugging on the socket itself.