Supermicro PDB & PSU Compatibility?

Discussion in 'DIY Server and Workstation Builds' started by RCS, Nov 6, 2018.

1. RCS

RCS New Member

Is there anyway to find out what Supermicro PSU's work with specific PDB's? I can't seem to find any documentation from Supermicro, and am not seeing any threads here.

Specifically looking for a compatibility list for a PDB-PT416-8824

Thanks for any help.

2. Rand__

Rand__ Well-Known Member

3. RCS

RCS New Member

Thanks for your reply.

Is it just a matter of verifying that the PSU (pin layout) physically fits?

I actually have PSU's for the PDB right now, but they're cheap gold rated units and I'm looking for something a little more efficient/quieter.

4. nthu9280

nthu9280 Well-Known Member

Check this link for the power supplies. For some reason the link provided by @Rand__ did not work for me. The power supply physical sizes varies also. The more common PWS-920P-SQ / compatible ones etc are 336mm x 76mm x 40mm.

The other factor is the edge connector size. either 19 pair (narrow) or 23 pair (Wide). PWS-1K28P-SQ has a wide connector. Wide PDB is compatible with both PSUs. I'm guessing the PDB in your chassis is wide. Check your chassis docs to confirm

Super Micro Computer, Inc. - Support | Power Supply Matrix

5. RCS

RCS New Member

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you mean by 19 (narrow) and 23 (wide).

My Chassis manual says nothing about the PDB, but from what I can see on eBay, its a 19 pair PDB (that's what's listed in descriptions)

I'm currently using a pair of PWS-1K41P-1R with the PDB. They look like this:

[​IMG]

I'd like to use a pair of PWS-1K62P-1R, but the gold connections looks slightly different (Assuming this is a "wide" connector and cannot be used with my PDB...)

[​IMG]

Thank you!

6. nthu9280

nthu9280 Well-Known Member

You got the gist of what I was trying to convey. Basically, the PDB with wide connector is compatible with both narrow & wide PSUs.
    I don't know if the edge connector on the 1400W PSU you have is Narrow or Wide.
    The eBay listings will say 23 pair. The more common ones are 19 pair and they won't work with larger PSUs