Supermicro Motherboard to enable Windows sleep mode and front USB question

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
I just finished my workstation build with the Supermicro X10SRL-F and just found out that the Sleep function is missing in the latest version of Windows 10 Pro. I figured since this is a server grade motherboard, sleep function is rarely used and I am wondering there is a setting in the bios to enable windows to go to sleep?

Lastly, I connected the front USB 3.0 header to the motherboard and only one of the two USB 3.0 ports is working. I am guessing its very unlikely that the header is defective but rather I have a defective port on the case?

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Double check that your data+ and data- connections are not swapped around at either end, I've been caught out with that before :)

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
Last time for me it was the pins/ wiring swapped round on the socket at the end of the cable. A quick check in your mobo manual should give you the header pinouts and you can then check that the wires do actually go to the right place, also I don't know if there's a bios setting for enabling USB ports, but if there is make sure they are all enabled :)

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Most SM motherboards disable S3 (sleep). If disabled on your board then there won't be any option to re-enable it. Rarely used in a server. Its also somewhat difficult to supply enough power to keep 8 or more RAM sticks refreshed reliably at within the power envelope of ATX standby power (probably possible now with low voltage DDR4 ram than it was just a few years ago - but SMs main customer base doesn't demand it so why change).

Reactions: chraac

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
A few months ago I contacted SM tech support to ask about sleep mode on an X10DR-i, which I was testing with Windows 10 as a possible workstation replacement.

The response from SM was ..

"The bottom line is our server boards including X10DRi and X9DRi-F do not support Sleep S mode. It only support on Workstation boards"

"X10DAX, X10DAi, X10DAC, and X10DRG-Q are considered as Workstation boards"

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Thanks all for the help! I figured sleep mode is never used in a server setting so thats why its not available in the BIOS. Not a big deal since I almost never put the PC to sleep haha. Now I just need to figure out the USB3.0 issue...

trumee

Jan 31, 2016
I use an X10SL7 board and sleep works under linux.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

mikewinddale

Aug 2, 2021
Be careful with sleep mode on a Supermicro motherboard.

I recently built a system using the M12SWA-TF motherboard for the ThreadRipper Pro WRX80 platform.

Sleep mode appeared to work, in the sense that I could put my computer to sleep and wake it back up. However, when I woke it up, I noticed that my computer was much quieter than before.

I looked at HWiNFO64, and it showed that my fan RPM were low and my CPU temperature was high.

Then I looked at Supermicro's own monitoring (IPMI, SuperDoctor, etc.), and it showed all sensors as null.

I tried changing the Supermicro fan profile to full speed, but the fans didn't speed up.

However, rebooting the computer fixed everything. In addition, hibernating the computer after putting it to sleep also fixed everything. In other words, if the computer was in a state where the fans were spinning abnormally slow, and Supermicro's software read the sensors as null, then hibernating the computer from that abnormal state would return it to normal. So this indicated that the problem was with the motherboard, not the operating system.

I called Supermicro, and they told me that sleep mode is not intended to be used because the BMC - which controls the fans - only connects to the fans and sensors during POST. Putting the computer into sleep disconnects the BMC from the fans and sensors. Only POST can restore the connection, which is why hibernating from an abnormal state returns the computer to normal.

Interestingly, after sleep mode, HWiNFO64 can still read all the sensors, including temperatures and fan RPM. The sensors are still there and working, but the BMC cannot read them after waking from sleep.

Also, even though the sensors were all null, the Supermicro software didn't issue any alerts. E.g., there was no "CPU temperature unknown" or "no CPU fan installed" warnings. So if sleep mode disables your BMC's ability to read the sensors and control the fans, you won't receive any warnings or alerts.

So if you have a Supermicro board, make sure you also check your fan RPM and temperature sensors after using sleep mode. Just because your computer wakes from sleep doesn't mean it is working.

You might want to try running a benchmark or burn-in software that allows you to optionally use only one core, such as Cinebench or Prime95. This way, you can test your CPU temperature after waking from sleep without risking too much. A single-core burn-in test will cause temperatures to increase measurably, but if waking sleep mode has caused your CPU fan to throttle to a slow speed, the single-core burn-in won't threaten your CPU with overheating.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
I kinda gave up on supermicro MB and S3 sleep. The only supermicro MB that ive been able to get s3 to work is the x10sra.

crabstorage

Apr 13, 2023
I edited the DSDT and enabled sleep on my board and sent the server into S3. It was basically like turning it off, it locked up and never woke up.

• Sad
Reactions: wildpig1234

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
to support S3 the RAM must still be powered in standby state and auto refresh enabled. and the BIOS must not do a RAM init(erase content) on start.
if you think it works let it sleep for at least 24 hours to be sure it fully works.
if the manual of the MB does not have a reference to S3, don't expect a support of it.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
to support S3 the RAM must still be powered in standby state and auto refresh enabled. and the BIOS must not do a RAM init(erase content) on start.
if you think it works let it sleep for at least 24 hours to be sure it fully works.
if the manual of the MB does not have a reference to S3, don't expect a support of it.
Dont even have to wait that long to test it. My X9SRA MB supposed to support S3. But it would enter sleep and would not be able to awake correctly even after just 3 min of sleep.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
My X9SRA MB supposed to support S3. But it would enter sleep and would not be able to awake correctly even after just 3 min of sleep.
the chance is higher that 'A' = Workstation type motherboard supports S3.
it depends at UEFI GPU init.phase.
have had a X11SPM-F S3 was fine with out dedicated GPU (only BMC VGA)
with Nvidia PCIe GPU S3 stopped successfully wakeup.

Reactions: wildpig1234

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
the chance is higher that 'A' = Workstation type motherboard supports S3.
it depends at UEFI GPU init.phase.
have had a X11SPM-F S3 was fine with out dedicated GPU (only BMC VGA)
with Nvidia PCIe GPU S3 stopped successfully wakeup.
But that same GPU in another MB does S3 sleep fine. lol...
And the X9SRA is supposed to be a "WS" board

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
but different UEFI driver in BIOS
Well, seems like the conclusion is that supermicro MB uefi driver in bios does not play well with S3 sleep... lol... Honestly, they probably don't care since almost all their customers are using them for servers so don't care about s3 sleep.

Even MS and intel are also doing away with S3 sleep. you can't find S3 sleep on laptops nowaday anymore. Totally taken out ;( leaving us with the shitty connected standby that just wastes battery

crabstorage

Apr 13, 2023
It's not bricked, but when you can't wake up from sleep it is useless. Also the machine pulled 300w during sleep which is more than when it was on. I guess if I get my skylake MB working I will test sleep there again. Simply the BMC loses control of fans and other sensors so S3 is not viable, as much as I'd love my server to sleep when I'm not doing inference and not idle at 220w.