SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SPO-F-B ATX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jolness

May 25, 2020
If anyone is looking for a single socket Xeon Scalable 3rd gen board, this appears to be much cheaper than I could find anywhere else. I am tempted to move from my Broadwell dual socket board to one of these (especially since I only have used one of the sockets) but I am not limited at this point by my server. Figured I would pass this on here.

SUPERMICRO MBD-X12SPO-F-B ATX Server Mot - $341.55 - Free shipping for Prime members

Reactions: Enrico and Samir

jolness

May 25, 2020
nice price, you need the saved money for the CPU.
Yeah they are definitely not cheap, even for the lower core count models.But figured this might be helpful for someone who has access to retired parts at a cheap cost or who needs a newer CPU and can stomach the cost of them. Sadly, a combination of cost and my lack of need prevent me from buying them haha.

Reactions: Samir

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Last edited:

jolness

May 25, 2020
checked the ES with production stepping D0...
QWAT becomes cheap.
Wow that is super cheap for a 38C CPU like that. From a quick look I see a D1 and D2 stepping after. Curious what changes there are and if they matter to me. That's pretty tempting

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
If only this deal was on ebay.

Tens of dollars to split the x16 to x8/x8 or just connect 2nd card onto a x8 port meant for nvme.

Last edited:
Reactions: RolloZ170 and Samir

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
checked the ES with production stepping D0...
QWAT becomes cheap.
edit: try make offer $160usd
Would this cpu/chip work for any supermicro X12 series motherboard? this is crazy price.

DanP

Jan 8, 2016
yeah that is a really WTF, bought a ton of crap off woot over the years but something like this is new to me

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Would this cpu/chip work for any supermicro X12 series motherboard? this is crazy price.
Its a ES chip, you are not guaranteed that all cores are stable, all functionality available, getting the clockrates it normaly has etc

They are always cheap if you are ok with going that route.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Its a ES chip, you are not guaranteed that all cores are stable, all functionality available, getting the clockrates it normaly has etc
realy ? one hour cbr23 and prime95 with no issues.
maybe ES is not ES. there are good and bad ones, early and pre final.
Intel gives ES to motherboard engineers to buil mobo not to annoy them.
QWAT is ES2 cpuid 606A6 - shares microcode with ALL production Ice Lake
lower clock rates is well known at ES, intel don't want to compete to itself.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
maybe ES is not ES. there are good and bad ones, early and pre final.
Intel gives ES to motherboard engineers to buil mobo not to annoy them.
Yeah they get loads of them and each tray tend to be marked with what those chips can be used to test.
ES is the units made during development/engineering of both board and the cpus.

So you dont know what stage of the chip you get or if it was made to test a specific thing.
Or if some functionality was just disabled on that batch as not working.

As revisions are done from the early ES chips they will make a QS that is the proposed design, then those go out for final testing.
The QS chips are usualy very close to (if not same as) the final design going out.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
ES is the units made during development/engineering of both board and the cpus.
very early never leeve intel labs. intel makes motherboards but do not sale them anymore.
So you dont know what stage of the chip you get or if it was made to test a specific thing.
sure we know, ES0,ES1,ES2. cpuid - it is easy.
As revisions are done from the early ES chips they will make a QS that is the proposed design, then those go out for final testing.
a ES which shares microcode with all production processors can not be much buggy at all.
The QS chips are usualy very close to (if not same as) the final design going out.
same as(intel not AMD) only difference is the ES bit is set in the cpuid registers.