SuperMicro M28SACB 8-bay 2.5inch mobile rack - No drives recognized in Bios OR Win10 64

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wilson S.

Jun 2, 2017
SuperMicro M28SACB 8-bay 2.5inch mobile rack - No drives recognized in Bios OR Win10 64

Not certain if SSDs HDDs is the correct subcategory, or should have used motherboards, or enclosures since this issue involves ALL three.

I apologize if I am in the incorrect section.

Recently mounted a Supermicro M14TQC 4-bay mobile rack into my research rig using standard molex PWR and SATA data connections to an Asus X99 board with no issues whatsoever.

So now I'm attempting to do the same with a Supermicro M28SACB mobile rack into my workstation which uses an SFF-8643 connector and two molex PWR lines. OK, seemed simple enough, but no.

I must be missing some unknown here altogether, I thought copper wire was copper wire but the Supermicro cable I have SFF-8643 to 4 SATA is not feeding any data signal to the Asus motherboard SATA ports OR I need another component within the pathway OR maybe the mobile rack is DOA.

IF I were to guess, I believe the issue is my own brain and lack of experience with server connectors. o_O

Any assistance is so very much appreciated. :)

Last edited:

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Are you using the correct cables? That rack requires a "reverse breakout cable". Most of the mini-SAS to SATA cables you'll find are "forward" breakout cables. Unlike most other cables you'll find in your systems, SFF-8643/8087/8088 to individual SATA/SAS have definite "directionality" to them.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
You probably havea sas to sata forward breakout cable (sata on backplane sside, sas on controller side).
You need a sas to sata reverse breakout cable (sas on backplane side, sata on controller side).

Wilson S.

Jun 2, 2017
The Supermicro Reverse Breakout cables (2) will arrive on Tuesday. Really hope this works, been staring at the mobile rack wondering "how could I go so wrong?"

I was very surprised and happy the LEDs are red and blue, just like the 4-bay rack, looks so nice. The videos I saw of the 8-bay rack the LEDs were green and stayed on constantly, but it seems that was the older version non - SATA3 rack, not this newer sku.

If anyone needs help building a workstation using server and non-server parts, I have a good amount of experience with the "non-server" side of things, water cooling, Asus boards, Sorbothane hemisphere pump isolation, silicon grommet fan isolation, Aquaero 6 fan/pump control etc.

Last edited: