Supermicro LGA1150 motherboard $30

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
Man, I am so glad I asked... I'd've likely gotten one of those wrong processors if i were wanting one for this board. It's kind of disappointing they didn't publish any cpu compatibility list.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
There's quite a few processors that should be supported, per that documentation, that I've had bookmarked for a while, but are explicitly excluded from function, per other members here.

Beaflag VonRathburg

Dec 13, 2018
These are nice motherboards, but cpu coolers are a bit problematic due to the sm backplate on the cpu. The sm coolers work great, but cost about $60 (for the 4U cooler). Noctua says their cooler is incompatable with the sm cpu backplate. The Thermaltake TOUGHAIR 310 has a thinner cooler backplate and *may* work, but I haven't tested it.
A heat gun or hair dryer will take it off it about 2 minutes and you can use 115x OEM heatsinks or anything that uses standard 115x mounting hardware.

foureight84

Jun 26, 2018
Be careful with this seller. I bought a SuperMicro PCIe bifurcation card a few months ago and the card did not work on my SuperMicro board. I requested a return and shipped it back. Didn't hear anything from the seller. Then a week ago I needed an 1151 socket cooler and tried buying from this seller to find out they had blocked me.

It was a normal transaction/return. The item was listed with a 30-day return policy, I did not even speak to the seller and went through the normal filing process through eBay. :oops: I've bought several items from this seller in the past as well.

Reactions: T_Minus

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Be careful with this seller. I bought a SuperMicro PCIe bifurcation card a few months ago and the card did not work on my SuperMicro board. I requested a return and shipped it back. Didn't hear anything from the seller. Then a week ago I needed an 1151 socket cooler and tried buying from this seller to find out they had blocked me.

It was a normal transaction/return. The item was listed with a 30-day return policy, I did not even speak to the seller and went through the normal filing process through eBay. :oops: I've bought several items from this seller in the past as well.
They've randomly banned me too for similar issue, then randomly later I could buy from again... very odd

ribroc

ebay hardware hobbyist
Feb 16, 2022
I'm pretty sure these boards will turn on via IPMI/switch without cpu/ram installed. It's a nice alternative to the costly Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB3 Power board for JBOD | eBay if you're looking to power on, manage fan speed, etc., a JBOD box for cheap.

Plus if you have a SAS expander, it'll power it via the PCI bus instead of a molex.
I can confirm all of this.
Word of warning though, I picked up 4 of these for this purpose, and all of them had ipmi I couldn't find or log in to, thanks to odd static IPs from a former life. Needed to get into the bios, so I recommend picking up a cpu and ram stick as a just-in-case.

Reactions: bwahaha

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
I found the old processor from my z97, a g3240. I tried a few different sticks of ddr3-10600r in various slots, but I still get a 5+1 beep code, which indicates "ram error."

Should this processor work, or is my board borked?

lopgok

Aug 14, 2017
I found the old processor from my z97, a g3240. I tried a few different sticks of ddr3-10600r in various slots, but I still get a 5+1 beep code, which indicates "ram error."

Should this processor work, or is my board borked?
These motherboards need *udimm* not *rdimm* memory.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
Good to know the proc I have will work.

found a couple of 2gb sticks which some french site says is PC3-10600E, ecc, unbuffered. Getting a different beep code , 1 short, followed immediately by two rapidfire beeps, then another beep in a different tone. No display out of vga, and jumpers seem to be set correct everywhere, and the system I pulled it from POSTed a couple of months ago.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
Picture of one of the RAM sticks? There's folks on here that can probably tell you for sure...along with what day they were manufactured and what the shift supervisor at the factory had for lunch that day. Smart people on here!

• Haha

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
model is SH57256813auhumsq0

Cisco pn(?) 15-13407-01, they were in an ironport s170.

not gonna lie, too inebriated to bother figurign out uploading photos.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
I appreciate it.

Mine got put in the same pile. A week later, there was a c170 with rails for $50 on ebay. Was so tempted... More ram slots, pcie slot... rails!... But the noise, power consumtion, and singular usage... It was easier justify virtualizing on another machine.

edit: thanks. Doesn't quite help me narrow down for sure it's the ram, or the mobo, but leaning towards board.

bwahaha

Jun 9, 2023
Wouldn't you know it? ram is fine, mobo is fine, everything is fine.

The vga to hdmi converter; works great 99% of the time. I found that one percent for the first time.... straight vga cable gets a POST screen.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I bought 32GB of ECC UDIMM's and they turned out to be registered. Seller acted clueless but gave me a refund.

Just found 32GB of ECC UDIMM's for $29. This time I searched the part no. to make sure it actually is ECC UDIMM. It's a one off so doesn't qualify for hot deals, sorry.

Last edited: