Supermicro, Inter-tech/Norco or something else?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hydra1981

Jul 19, 2015
As it happens, I recently moved to a flat that comes with some generous storage space in the basement. So I am thinking of replacing all the towers that I have with a rack and some rack mounted units. The internals will get transplanted, the cases will get replaced. I do however still need to keep any noise at a minimum. All my current equipment is Supermicro based so I am biased towards a Supermicro chassis. However now that the UK is out of the EU, they seem quite hard to come by at decent prices in the used market in mainland Europe. Looking at what else is out there, Inter-tech/Norco cases seem to be readily available new, at semi-decent prices. On one hand I like the fact that the Supermicro motherboards are drop-in plug and play in Supermicro cases, on the other hand Norco are cheap, cheerful and they take standard PSUs. So what do I do? Does the quality difference of the Supermicro matter at all for a home set-up? Keep looking for used Supermicro deals or just suck it up, buy Norco and be done with it? Anything else out there that is readily available and cheap? In-win, Silverstone etc not much out there it seems. Anything else at the enterprise level (e.g. used HPs?). This is just before I go with Norco (in case someone changes my mind) although I have to admit I have a soft spot for the totalitarian looks of the Supermicros.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Norco is okay As Long as IT works.
When you encounter a Hardware failure IT might bei pretty difficult to find replacement parts

cowonmars

Apr 5, 2023
I prefer supermicro for the same reasons. Is the quality and compatibility necessary? Maybe not, but if they are accessible I would definitely pay a good bit more for it. SMC also offers super quiet options on psu/fans.

I would wait.

ddaenen1

Jul 7, 2020
I have an Intertech 2404S for my TrueNAS server. Main reason is i wanted 4 hot swap slots for storage HDD's and 2 internal SSD's for the OS but i also had a limitation in depth so a regular 1U or 2U server enclosure just wasn't possible. I am very happy with it.

hydra1981

Jul 19, 2015
Ended up with used Supermicro cases instead (of various vintages) and a 4POST25U rack from Startech. Still in the process of migrating but so far I got rid of the SansDigital SAS towers which is a step towards the right direction.