Supermicro H11SSL-i not detecting all RAM

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
The seller answered yesterday to my issue asking if I would like a replacement or a refund.

I asked for a replacement, still waiting for an answer.

can you give a ebay item number ?
I will give it out after the process is finished, with feedback.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
Update:

Just received the new DIMMs, unfortunately the seller only sent 2, waiting to ear from them about the other 2.

Both sticks worked, and are being detected:

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
Update:

Yesterday I received the other 2 new DIMMs and, unfortunately, they are not detected.

I went ahead and tested (again) the 2 slots where I put them, they are definitely working (I also put the 2 new sticks on B1 and D1 to test, didn't work):

At this point I'm out of ideas of what may be happening, its already 6 DIMMs that are either DOA or for some reason don't work on my motherboard/CPU, even though they are exactly the same as what I already have running...

Does anyone have any idea?

Thank you

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
do you get any info from BIOS, i.e. slots XX uncorrectable hardware component found or slot XX mapped out ?

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
do you get any info from BIOS, i.e. slots XX uncorrectable hardware component found or slot XX mapped out ?
Yesterday I went around the BIOS searching for logs/events but wasn't able to find anything related to memory errors. By any chance do you know where I could find that?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Yesterday I went around the BIOS searching for logs/events but wasn't able to find anything related to memory errors. By any chance do you know where I could find that?
you see that at BIOS POST on the screen.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
if the Slots are not mentioned at POST the sticks are void to the system, they are dead.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
you see that at BIOS POST on the screen.
No, I didn't see any errors.

Another thing, when I was testing the first 4 sticks, when I only had any of those 4 in the slots it wouldn't even POST, just a black screen, no errors. I was still able to access the BMC/IPMI page.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
you need no CPU or RAM to access the IPMI WebGUI
I assumed that, since I don't even need the machine to be powered on to access it. In there there is also no mention to memory errors anywhere. On the Hardware Information page they didn't appear.

On the Server Health -> Sensor Readings the memory slots would show information though.

just remove ALL RAM and press the pwr btn and see what happens
I can try to remove all ram sticks later today when I get home.

What are you trying to observe? If any errors pop up on the BIOS POST screen?

I can even record it, since I'm using the IPMI WebGUI's integrated KVM to access the BIOS, I have no monitor/keyboard to physically connect to it.

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
error "no memory installed"
I just did the test by removing all the ram sticks, nothing, at least on the iKVM from the IPMI WebGUI.

Here is a screen-recording: https://cdn.karbust.com/BedO8/GaPAVeNa00.mp4/raw

The video started after I removed all the RAM sticks, I left it there for a bit to see if anything would popup, nothing did (the machine turned on and the fans went on full blast), after that I turned it off, put the 6 sticks of RAM back in and it started.

I made another video after adding 2 out of the 4 sticks of RAM that were sent originally (the ones with the chip from IDT, check below): https://cdn.karbust.com/BedO8/KeJeDODo11.mp4/raw
Nothing happened, just the 6 sticks already present were detected.

I also got in contact with the seller from whom I bought the CPU, Motherboard and initial RAM (it was a bundle).

This is what they said:

This are the 2 sticks of RAM that have the chip from IDT that don't work (they are from the first 4 sticks I received):

All the other sticks (4 of them) that also don't work have this chip in the middle:

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
strange platform, thought all SM has life without RAM.
anyway. imho that are old worn out RAM sticks.

Reactions: Karbust

bayleyw

Jan 8, 2014
given that fresh dimms worked the dimms are probably bad? I used to say it was impossible that six dimms would all be bad but after receiving 3 out of 8 ddr5 rdimms with missing resistors in perfect packaging, I'm no longer so confident...

Reactions: Karbust

Karbust

Mar 11, 2024
Update:

The seller isn't able to send 2 more similar to the ones I have working due to lack of stock. I have been refunded the price of 2 sticks, I kept the 2 sticks that work and I'm gonna return the 6 that are not working.