Supermicro H11DSi-NT BIOS POST Phantom Issue

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Layla

Game Engine Developer
Jun 21, 2016
I just spent a few hours chasing a totally phantom issue after installing new RAM into my dual EPYC system. I'm posting this in the hopes of saving some poor hopeless soul like myself in the future hours of their life.

The HTML5 iKVM on my SuperMicro H11DSi-NT Rev 2.0 board apparently just shows a frozen bios stuck at “DXE--ACPI Initialization” and POST Snooping gets stuck at POST code 55 once the system boots to the OS.

Except that I didn't have my monitor pointing at the actual display output from the GPU (I had it pointing at my other system), and I kept thinking the EPYC system was frozen during POST!

I chased my tail googling things and trying BIOS settings for several hours. I tried turning off SMT, changing Local APIC Mode to x2APIC (and even tried xAPIC). I tried removing and re-inserting RAM. I must have rebooted 50 times. Little did I know that each time, I was hard-rebooting an already perfectly booted to windows system that was working properly.

I only figured this out when I happened to change my other monitor to this system to double-check that nothing else was happening that the HTML5 iKVM wasn't showing me. Imagine my surprise seeing the Windows Server 2019 login screen! Sigh.

Hopefully this post saves at least someone else from this horrific waste of time (and potential damage to any SSD NAND which isn't protected by a supercapacitor!)

Reactions: bayleyw