Supermicro CSE-847 All 7x 80mm Fans Needed?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

TXAG26

Aug 2, 2016
Just picked up a CSE-847 chassis that holds 36 LFF HDD's and has 7x 80mm FAN-0126L4 fans. It appears to have the traditional 4x fan wall found in the 846, but also has another fan wall directly behind with 3x additional 80mm fans right behind the front fan wall. Are these additional 3 fans for redundancy or are they actually needed for airflow? It's an interesting design as the front fan blows right into the fan behind it. It doesn't seem like this setup would increase airflow, but I'm not an engineer. Anyone experimented with these before? Can I run this with just the 4x front fans in the fan wall? I'm planning to have a 2U active heatsink on the motherboard, so airflow won't be needed to cool the CPU.

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
I have no idea but I just ordered an 847 yesterday and I am hoping to pick it up on Friday ... fingers crossed. The case will sit on a rack in my garage but I was not expecting a jet engine. This is my first 4U SM case. Ironically, I need to spend time moving parts from a 3U case to a 4U LP case. Time to go looking for LP brackets.

Reactions: TXAG26

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
I'm planning to have a 2U active heatsink on the motherboard, so airflow won't be needed to cool the CPU.
All the servers that use this chassis have passive heatsinks, I think it should work with just 4 (or like the 846 with 3) fans + 2u active heatsinks

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
My impression of the 847 is that the fans are largely for the drives. The drives are packed pretty tightly, and the backplanes don't leave a lot of room for airflow, so you really want that static pressure. But if it's not full, you could just try it out with fewer fans and watch temps.

Reactions: techtoys and TXAG26

techtoys

Feb 25, 2016
My impression of the 847 is that the fans are largely for the drives. The drives are packed pretty tightly, and the backplanes don't leave a lot of room for airflow, so you really want that static pressure. But if it's not full, you could just try it out with fewer fans and watch temps.
I agree. the fans are mostly to keep the drives cool. I will be leaving them on.