Supermicro - Configuring Fan Speed by RPM?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

NateR

Feb 10, 2022
Hello, all,

I've got a couple of SuperMicro 5018A-FTN4 I'm using to run TrueNAS on. I've got a couple of HDDs in them, and they're idling up around 50c, so having installed an additional fan (Noctua) pointing at these drives to try and bring the idle temps down a bit.

Unfortunately, the RPM of these fans is quite low - while at idle, they're running at 1600RPM vs the 3700RPM of the stock CPU fan. If I change the fan speed to any other settings, it affects both the Noctua and the stock fan, making it unbearably loud. There is only one zone on this motherboard, so both are being controlled the same.

Based on what I'm reading online (really just a complete lack of information about it), it doesn't appear that individual fan control is possible with Supermicro's limited fan control settings - only zone-based control. Since there is only one zone on this motherboard, it doesn't appear possible to run these under different fan speed curves.

My question: Is there any way to make the fan speed be controlled based on RPMs? (i.e. bring the Noctua up to the 3700RPM of the stock fan), rather than an absolute percentage-based PWM signal being passed without regard for the resulting RPM.

Thank you

P.S. If the above is not possible, do you know if 3-pin fan speed control is supported on these motherboards? If not, I might be able to just go with one of Noctua's FLX 3-pin fans and either let it run at full speed, or use one of their low-noise adapters to bring it down a bit if needed. EDIT: Just looked up the motherboard's manual, and it sounds like this may be an option - it just mentions that 3-pin fans are compatible, but that 4-pin fans allow it to control the speed. May need to go with this option.

Last edited: