Supermicro board failing to post

Discussion in 'Processors and Motherboards' started by Deslok, Sep 13, 2019.

1. Deslok

Deslok Active Member

I have an X9-SRL-f that was working fine under server 2012 R2 until it suddenly wasn't. Now the board will turn on, I'll see the bios start to load and then suddenly power off. At first I thought it was a bad psu although changing that had no effect. Swapping out the cpu and memory also didn't help things any neither did clearing the cmos. I'm at a bit of a loss what to even consider next, is the board just shot?

2. Fritz

Fritz Well-Known Member

Make sure your HSF is properly installed. Could be going into thermal shutdown.

3. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

Will it boot from a USB stick if you remove all peripherals and add-in cards? Tried running a BIOS/ BMC/ IPMI recovery cycle?

4. Deslok

Deslok Active Member

Haven't tried usb, it's actually not getting far enough to try to boot. How do I run a bios/bmc/ipmi recovery cycle? I can't actually get into the bios? I did try clearing the cmos already.

5. Deslok

Deslok Active Member

I wish, heat I understand and unfortunately isn't the problem.

6. pricklypunter

pricklypunter Well-Known Member

Here's a link that may help...or not :)

He mentions holding the keys until you see the USB stick being accessed, but I believe SM officially say to hold them until you hear a couple of wee beeps. This may or may not mean the same thing in practise :)

Supermicro have some pdf's on their site relating to BIOS recovery methods too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2019
  7. RageBone

RageBone Active Member

so, it could be a empty bios battery, but a defective bios chip or borked content sounds also very reasonable to me.
    You can reflash through the ipmi.

BLinux likes this.
  8. Deslok

Deslok Active Member

I'll give replacing the battery a shot(hft carries spares!) and it looks like there's no ipmi on my board it's the X9-SRL non -f variant taking a look. but I think I saw a usb option as well.