Supermicro AS-2124US-TNRP + Windows Server 2022 Datacenter BSOD when attempting to bitlocker encrypt

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Anyone seen a BSOD triggered only when you try to bitlocker encrypt a drive? It is a brand new Server 2022 Datacenter install on a brand new server (hardware tests fine). When I attempt to encrypt the C drive (or any other fixed drive), it BSOD's on fvevol.sys but seems to refuse to write a complete dump, only minidumps which show absolutely nothing in WinDbg.

I've verified the drivers are as up to date as I can get them, firmwares as well, all software, patches, etc. My next step I guess is to just format this machine, lay a completely new copy of Windows down, install only the required drivers and try to encrypt again to see if it happens, then downgrade to Server 2019 if it does and repeat.

Just figured I would check if anyone has seen similar issues before to maybe save me some troubleshooting time.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
A clean install of Server 2022 made no difference though I confirmed Server 2019 works perfectly fine so there is something going on with Server 2022 and the hardware / drivers. Attempting to reach out to Supermicro support now otherwise I guess I'll be deploying the system with Server 2019.

If anyone has experienced this though let me know! I haven't been able to find anything of value in any memory dumps and nothin on the web from someone seeing similar behavior so far.

nrgyz

Apr 4, 2023
Hi,
Just faced the same issue here. Brand new Supermicro AS-1014S-WTRT with TPM AOM-TPM-9665V and 3.8TB Micron 7450 PRO NVMe. Fresh install of Windows Server 2022 Standard gives a BSOD ( PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA fvevol.sys ) when I enable Bitlocker on the NVMe drive. If anyone has a clue why this bug happens, please let us know.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Hi,
Just faced the same issue here. Brand new Supermicro AS-1014S-WTRT with TPM AOM-TPM-9665V and 3.8TB Micron 7450 PRO NVMe. Fresh install of Windows Server 2022 Standard gives a BSOD ( PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA fvevol.sys ) when I enable Bitlocker on the NVMe drive. If anyone has a clue why this bug happens, please let us know.
I have a support ticket open with Supermicro but so far they claim they haven't been able to reproduce it. I'm glad to see someone else is seeing this though and its not just me as thats a promising sign that there is actually something wrong.

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
Hi,
@nrgyz - FYI - don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon. MS just confirmed to me that the issue has existed since May 2022 and they have no timeline on a fix. The workaround they provide does let the OS drive get encrypted (and any others that are detected as 4K) but you are unable to encrypt any additional drives. If you need to deploy the server, downgrade it to Server 2019 as that is the only way you can utilize Bitlocker + NVMe with both OS and fixed drives.

Last edited:

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
FYI as of right now July 2023 Server Cumulative Patch will include this fix. June 2023 will roll it out for client OS' from what I understand but it won't be until July that the server OS' will get patched.

UPDATE: Supposedly its been pushed to August 2023 Cumulative Patch for Servers from July.

Last edited:

nickyblueeyes

Sep 27, 2023
In case anyone else is having issues with this issue (or same problem causing issues with SQL), add the following registry entry and reboot (may or may not be necessary)

New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\stornvme\Parameters\Device" -Name "ForcedPhysicalSectorSizeInBytes" -PropertyType MultiString -Force -Value "* 4095"

Additional info about this problem can be found at the following locations:

smokey7722

Oct 20, 2015
In case anyone else is having issues with this issue (or same problem causing issues with SQL), add the following registry entry and reboot (may or may not be necessary)

New-ItemProperty -Path "HKLM:\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\stornvme\Parameters\Device" -Name "ForcedPhysicalSectorSizeInBytes" -PropertyType MultiString -Force -Value "* 4095"

Additional info about this problem can be found at the following locations:

Keep in mind this may or may not work. For me that only worked for the Micron NVMe drives but did NOT work with the Intel/Solidigm drives I also had installed in the chassis. MS supposedly keeps pushing the official fix back so that workaround may or may not work but its literally the only option with Server 2022 + NVMe.

I ended up deploying the brand new system as Server 2019 unfortunately as I couldn't get it to work any other way.