Supermicro AOC NIC on non Supermicro motherboard

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

maximishugus

Aug 20, 2021
Hello everyone,
I'm about to by a supermicro NIC (AOC) but I didn't managed to find this information :
Does someone has experience with Supermicro AOC NIC (mine will be based on Intel XL710 chip) on non Supermicro motherboard / hardware ?
Will it work ?

Thanks a lot

jdnz

Apr 29, 2021
should be fine - I’ve got a couple of their older x540 based NICs ( aoc-stg-i2t) running fine in non-supermicro machines, to the host OS they just look like a real intel x540-t2

Reactions: maximishugus

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Some Supermicro AOC's are Supermicro only and some are standard PCIe cards that should be usable in other machines.
Which card exactly do you have in mind?

For what it is worth, I have used several AOC-STGN-I2S (equivalent to Intel X520 cards) cards in various machines and they work very well.

maximishugus

Aug 20, 2021
Some Supermicro AOC's are Supermicro only and some are standard PCIe cards that should be usable in other machines.
Which card exactly do you have in mind?

For what it is worth, I have used several AOC-STGN-I2S (equivalent to Intel X520 cards) cards in various machines and they work very well.
I want to buy a Supermicro AOC-STG-i4S based on Intel XL710 so it should look like a X710-DA4 ?
It should work ?

RTM

Jan 26, 2014
Supermicro tends to make their own designs, the cards I have are different than what Intel makes (which is the reason why I bought them), so no I wouldn't say they should look like X710-DA4 cards (that said Supermicro is a reasonable vendor, so I would expect their cards to function equally well to Intel made ones).

While I can't guarantee anything, I will say that I think it is highly likely that AOC-STG-i4S should work outside of a Supermicro machine.

Reactions: maximishugus

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
While I can't guarantee anything, I will say that I think it is highly likely that AOC-STG-i4S should work outside of a Supermicro machine.
I can confirm they work in non-SM boards. Have them running in some HPE DL380 G9's. They don't seem to be picky with SFP's either. Everything I've stuck in them works.

Reactions: JediAcolyte

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
BTW, you can flash the latest Intel FW on these cards.
I have a new to me used AOC-STGF-I2S based on a x710-DA2 how do I go about flashing this to the latest intel FW? Tried with the latest (8.4) and an intermediate (6.01) NVM and get no update available.

From some google-foo should I manually editing the nvmupdate.cfg and adding the current ETRACK ID of my AOC card under the NVM IMAGE: X710DA2_6p01_CFGID7p2_OEMGEN.bin REPLACES: section?

MoMeanMugs

Apr 16, 2018
Yes, that's correct. You'll need to use the tool to get your ID, add it to the config file, and then it will be detected to do the firmware update.

Note, I did this on a number of cards in the same server type. I had a couple cards that failed to do the update the first time. The firmware update tool will tell you to reboot the machine and then do the firmware update again. It is LYING to you! Do not reboot the machine, otherwise it will leave the card in an unusable state where the EETRACK info, MAC addresses, and other info reads all 0's. I don't recall the recovery procedure, but it was a PITA. Instead, just run the command again and it should be successful the second time.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Thanks I successfully flashed to the latest intel firmware. In case anyone comes along later, this webpage has the basic process.

Except step 6 where after I edited the nvmupdate.cfg and saved with my nics ETRACK ID in the appropriate NVM section I simply ran $ ./nveupdate64e and the update proceeded.