Supermicro AIOM in non Supermicro OCP 3.0 slot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
So supermicro took it upon themselves to create another standard based on a standard to muddy the waters.

AIOM looks like ocp 3.0, goes into that slot, but is AIOM compatible with a non supermicro OCP 3.0 slotted motherboard as well?

Really hope someone knows this

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Conflicting messages on it from Supermicro unfortunately. Per this document, the AIOM card is labeled as AIOM/OCP 3.0 (graphic on 4th page), but they also state further down that it's somewhat proprietary. Might need to just test it out and see?

Supermicro AIOM (Advanced I/O Module) extends the OCP 3.0 specification with
unique features that tackle some of the biggest challenges such as thermal
control, ability to support a wide range of networking options in a small size
form factor, remote management, and quick and simple deployment.
My guess is that it will work, just possibly without the extra features, but no firsthand experience here.

malloot

Oct 24, 2013
Yeah it's worth a shot, they are rather cheap vs normal 100gbe pci-e cards. I ordered some for the asus e11 machines I bought to test.

Very annoying that supermicro had to e so purposefully vague about this standard. Really wish this industry would stop making custom vendor locked systems. I guess OCP is a step in the right direction but then it gets abused like this and it all falls apart again.

Reactions: PeterF

Accomation

Oct 15, 2022
Hi,

Did it work? The configurator at ahead-it suggests this card as an option for an Asus RS520A-E11, which would be convenient - not very expensive, and apparently available.

MRGA

Aug 3, 2023
Just to be clear. AIOM are OCP3.0. However, Supermicro is not allowed to sell AIOM cards standalone. AIOM cards are using nvidia, Broadcom, and Intel controllers, and selling them as standalone would put them in direct competition with the chip vendors and their OCP cards. Would it work if you connect them to a system that is not Supermicro, I would say yes, but there are features that might be blocked for the reason I mentioned above. AIOM cards could be ONLY bundled with the Supermicro system.