Supermicro 847 expander performance setup

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

gtech1

May 27, 2019
I have two 4U SC847 chassis that I want to connect together for performance configuration.
I am using LSI 9217 cards and here's where I am at so far:

Chassis 1 ( with motherboard ) can properly connect to Chassis 2 (no motherboard, acts as expander chassis) via the LSI 9217 card and an 8088 cable. This works very well and gives me a fairly decent performance, but I believe I am limited by that one 8088 cable ( 24 gbps, right ? )

I am looking to build a dual link setup between the two chassis but I don't know how to connect them.

I have a second LSI 9217 card that I placed in Chassis 1 ( not connected to Chassis 1 backplane ) and which connects to Chassis 2 on the J0 ports, as it says here:

https://www.supermicro.com/manuals/chassis/tower/SC847.pdf

Right now I get all kinds of errors in FreeBSD when I use the two cables ( works fine with just one cable ), so I suspect I'm not plugging them in at the right place. I use J0 for the chassis-chassis connections. Is that correct ?

EDIT: I think what I need is what they show on page F-19 but they only show internal HBA's and connections directly from the backplane, there's no schema for HBAs with external ports

Last edited: