EU Supermicro 847 36 bay chassis with board, HBAs, NIC, etc - £350

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Rahvin9999

Jan 14, 2016
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
Sounds like a jet engine at startup lol... goes down if u wait a minute or 2 but I wouldn't call it quiet :p

My Define R5 housing my X10DRL-i with Noctua fans and tweaked ipmi settings is quiet :)

Probably have to change the highs on that 847 - but don't think I can on the HGST
I have 3 of the 847's here. Even after taking measures. They are louder than the HGST.
Have tried swapping the fans before.... Sadly it doent really work. There is a lot of air that needs to be pulled through the front of the chassis and then out the back to cool disks and the system components.

The HGST has a fixed algorithm. I have tried hooking a cable up to the console port. but it looks like its outputting SES. not much that you can do there which you cant also via your controller and sg_ses and simmilar utilities

Mirabis

Mar 18, 2016
I have 3 of the 847's here. Even after taking measures. They are louder than the HGST.
Have tried swapping the fans before.... Sadly it doent really work. There is a lot of air that needs to be pulled through the front of the chassis and then out the back to cool disks and the system components.

The HGST has a fixed algorithm. I have tried hooking a cable up to the console port. but it looks like its outputting SES. not much that you can do there which you cant also via your controller and sg_ses and simmilar utilities
Ugh... guess I have to take measures to keep the housemates happy xD... Probably move it to some place it won't be that audible.. but means running long cables ;S

Thanks for info :)

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
I'm also curious if the coraid software comes with them.
Did a bit of research, they obviously delivered it on a bootsble usb inside the appliance.
Would be fun to give it a try / compare aoe vs iscsi or iser.

edit: guess it is more something like a Dom (what also is nice-to-have) where their os resided...

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
I just receved my chassis:)

A quick look schows:

10Gbit nic: aoc-stg-i2T:D
Mainboard: x8dth-if
HBA: aoc-saslp-mv8
6GB Ram
Sata Dome: 128MB:eek:

I will check the CPU later, just don't have enouth time at the moment.

Reactions: fvanlint

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Nice, how was the packing ?
Guess 128mb was enough for the Coraid - OS.
Is it still on the DOM / does it boot and have licence ?

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
The packing was standart Supermicro. So original Packing.

I will chek later for the details off the OS.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Sooo,

I'm playing with the first unit.

bummer the unit has only 32 caddys now i stuck with 4 black ones:confused:

The next problem: Bios is locket i will begin flashing it now.

The OS is still in the dom and the system boots up fine. (No PW set)

And one X5650 is installt in the first box:)

fvanlint

May 23, 2016
Netherlands
vlint.nu
Mine also arrived today. I bought the silver one.
All 36 caddies accounted for.

Also:
5 x aoc-saslp-mv8
SATADOM (I presume 128 mb as well)
Intel PT 4x gigabit (will replace with dual 10gbe sfp+ card)
6 gb ram
Have not checked the xeon type yet.

Also checked corOS, based on plan 9. Pretty fascinating, but I do not know how to get it to tell me anything interesting. Env / environment is unknown, as is ifconfig, netstat, lsof and so on.
The system itself though, is unlocked.

The bios is locked to PXE, so we will need to flash the bios.

Last edited:

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Ok, sounds nice, in special the X5650 :)
No surprise the BIOS is locked, i expected Coraid did something like this with these boxes.
Prevents reliable from support-calls by people that try to 'optimize' there ;)

Delivery of my box is estimated for monday, wonder if it`s worth to have a look at the AOE-Magic with the Coraid-OS or just flash BIOS and let it go.
Had another Intel 1U Single 2011 8x 2,5" delivered today that was quite long in 'customs clearance'
- so lot`s of toys for the next days / weeks.

michathe

Feb 25, 2016
Hmm,

Does not boot from usb and no ps2 Keyboard at home for DOS CD.

Will tear ist appart now and deal with the board later on.

If someone has an idea let me know.

Last edited:

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Hm, maybe connect 'something bootable' (Disk / SSD with Ubuntu) from where you can flash the BIOS to the SATA - Port where the DOM currently sits ?

Mine also arrived today. I bought the silver one.

Also checked corOS, based on plan 9. Pretty fascinating, but I do not know how to get it to tell me anything interesting.
Maybe this helps ?
http://download.alyseo.com/pub/partners/Coraid/Docs/Manual/SRcheatsheet.pdf

I guess corOS is basically a very lightweight os that just allows to manage the appliance and export storage via AoE.

Some more info could be found here:
EtherDrive: Storage flexibility for the modern data center
core•aid: Coraid support + upgrades from Brantley Coile’s core•aid

Or just wipe it :D

fvanlint

May 23, 2016
Netherlands
vlint.nu
Thanks, I will check it out.
I saw the post above yours stating that the machine does not boot from usb. I thought to try the internal USB or otherwise image the DOM for archival purposes and overwrite Freedos on that. If all else fails, I could use an old 2.5" laptop sata with some linux to boot from and try to start IPMI from there.

Hm, maybe connect 'something bootable' (Disk / SSD with Ubuntu) from where you can flash the BIOS to the SATA - Port where the DOM currently sits ?

Maybe this helps ?
http://download.alyseo.com/pub/partners/Coraid/Docs/Manual/SRcheatsheet.pdf

I guess corOS is basically a very lightweight os that just allows to manage the appliance and export storage via AoE.

Some more info could be found here:
EtherDrive: Storage flexibility for the modern data center
core•aid: Coraid support + upgrades from Brantley Coile’s core•aid

Or just wipe it :D

_alex

Jan 28, 2016
Bavaria / Germany
Not my post, i still haven't the unit.
Freedos on the DOM could work, too.
But maybe a disk with any Linux or freedos is easier than mirroring the DOM and installing something on it.

fvanlint

May 23, 2016
Netherlands
vlint.nu
You are probably right. But I have a few ide/sata to usb adapters laying next to me, so it might be a bit easier that way.

Not my post, i still haven't the unit.
Freedos on the DOM could work, too.
But maybe a disk with any Linux or freedos is easier than mirroring the DOM and installing something on it.

fvanlint

May 23, 2016
Netherlands
vlint.nu
By hitting f2 and/or del while the Coraid post screen shows, you can get into the bios. But it needs a CURRENT password, which I of course do not know.