SUPERMICRO 846E1-R900B - Good Nas Box Option?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Seion

Sep 1, 2016
Northern Kentucky
I am looking at this sale on Ebay currently

SUPERMICRO 846E1-R900B BAREBONE SERVER CHASSIS WITH 24x TRAYS 2x900w PSU + Rails

I currently have this controller in my ATX system:
LSI 9210-8i card

I am looking at eventually putting my ATX board in this chassis possibly. Will it fit?

I want to make sure that my controller card will work with the sas expander that is in this system.

I also want to make sure I understand this post correctly and that there is a SAS 2 expander in this chassis as I'd prefer SAS 2 over SAS 1. If there is only sas 1 expander in this box, is there a sas 2 expander that I can buy to put in this chassis? I have a few 3TB drives that I want to use.

Thanks in advanced

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
This chassis has the old SAS-1 expander. It has trouble with large (>2tB) drives and may be subject to some other issues when using SATA drives (some of this was fixed with later firmware flashes). Also, the 900W PSUs are the older, noisy and inefficient models. The chassis is old enough that the internal fans may be 3-pin, non-PWM models that you'd likely need to change out.

It will work (as long as you limit yourself to 2TB drives). You are unlikely to be satisfied.

For a couple of hundred $$$ more there are newer versions of this same chassis currently listed on eBay that you may fiind much more satisfying. Look specifically for the SAS2 expander backplane or the "A" model non-expander version. Also look for Gold/Platinum PSUs. Though you are unlikely to actually need it, the 1200W PSUs are substantially quieter than these older 900W versions.

Seion

Sep 1, 2016
Northern Kentucky

What I am looking for is a cheap chassis that has or can be upgraded to a SAS 2 Expander that is compatible with the controller I posted above, that also has at least 12 bays. I would prefer to put my board inside the chassis, but don't mind leaving it in the case I have now.

I could do that Chassis posted above, if in the future I could change out the expander to SAS 2, and change out the PSU maybe for a quieter one.

Would an ATX board fit in the chassis above?

I am trying to stay at or under $200 for now. With the intention to add on later.

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
Yes, an ATX board would fit.

But - having picked up and re-fitted literally dozens of SM chassis - I can tell you that picking up this chassis now and re-fitting it later is a false economy. The SAS2 backplane will ultimately cost you $150-200 more and fixing the PSU and fan issues likely another $100 (at least). You can often find the chassis you really "want" in the $300-400 range on eBay. Keep shopping. My advice would be to frontload your spending on the chassis a bit and do your incremental spend on what goes inside.

Reactions: Seion