Supermicro 846BA-R920B to onboard SATA

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Groto

Apr 26, 2021
I am new to this and have what is probably a stupid question.

I might be getting one of these chassis that comes with the 846A back plane. I was wondering if I could use my existing SFF8087 to 4x SATA cables to connect the backplane directly to the onboard SATA ports on my Asus motherboard. Will that work? I only have 6 x 4TB SATA drives to start with so I don’t have a need to get a raid card yet for JBOD. I will use this with Unraid. I fully intend on getting an LSI card at some point but right now I don’t need one I don’t think.

these are the cables I already have. I actually do have a Dell H710P raid card which would’ve been great but it does not support JBOD for unraid. I know there are ways to flash it back to LSI firmware but it has to be in a Dell server to do it which I don’t have.

High Point Internal Mini-SAS to 4SATA(SFF8087 to SATA), 1M (3 feet) Int-MS-1M4S
More information: Amazon.com: High Point Internal Mini-SAS to 4SATA(SFF8087 to SATA), 1M (3 feet) Int-MS-1M4S: Electronics

thanks

Last edited:

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You likely have forward breakout cables, but will need reverse breakout to accomplish that. They look identical, but are not interchangeable. With that said though, it will work so long as you have the right cable.

Groto

Apr 26, 2021
You likely have forward breakout cables, but will need reverse breakout to accomplish that. They look identical, but are not interchangeable. With that said though, it will work so long as you have the right cable.
thank you for the response. I think I edited my post with a link to the cables right when you responded. Do the ones I posted above look like the wrong ones then do you think? I got these in 2014 and use them with the Dell card until recently when I switched to unraid.