Supermicro 846 and cable shortage

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

safado

Aug 21, 2020
From one oversight to another!

I have a SC 846(tq variant with replaced backplane) and I’m installing a x10dri-t4+ with dual xeons.

I’ve bought upgraded power supplies (900sq’s for the noise factor) but I’ve found that the default cabling on the distribution unit is a 24-pin atx with a 4pin attached and a single 8-pin EPS. The motherboard manual specifically states to use both 8-pin connectors with the 24-pin.

Can I just buy an 8-pin EPS splitter to cover the two connectors? I’m assuming that will work right?

I was also hoping to use a GPU with this setup—is there a power distribution replacement unit that will give me more cable options? I did some searching here and it seems to not be a recommended approach.

Final question: there’s a ribbon cable (9-pins I believe it's 16 pin) that feeds off the case that I believe is for the front power connectors. Is there a option to break these out to work on the standard power/reset/display lights connectors on the motherboard?

Thanks for the help and advice!

Last edited:

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
From one oversight to another!

Final question: there’s a ribbon cable (9-pins I believe it's 16 pin) that feeds off the case that I believe is for the front power connectors. Is there a option to break these out to work on the standard power/reset/display lights connectors on the motherboard?

Thanks for the help and advice!
I can't answer your other questions but for the front panel doesn't your X10dri-t4+ have the standard SM front panel connector on it? Or is the ribbon cable to short to reach the header on the motherboard?

SM makes front panel breakout cables in two different lengths, 15cm and 61cm. They can often be purchased on the bay and AMZ too.

Reactions: safado

safado

Aug 21, 2020
I can't answer your other questions but for the front panel doesn't your X10dri-t4+ have the standard SM front panel connector on it? Or is the ribbon cable to short to reach the header on the motherboard?

SM makes front panel breakout cables in two different lengths, 15cm and 61cm. They can often be purchased on the bay and AMZ too.
I stopped and looked carefully at the manual and realized the extra pins on the motherboard aren’t needed and the 16 are the ones that actually serve a purpose.

So that question is answered and yes the ribbon cable will work. Thanks for the link though. Good to know!

Actually the cable does not work--after some trial and error and reversing it appears it still won't power on (tried the 4-pin in the 2nd 8-pin EPS slot as I wait for a cable) Hopefully that's the issue and I'm not looking at a bigger problem with this motherboard.

Last edited: