Supermicro 836 Caddy has steady Blue LED

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

ARAMP1

Apr 17, 2016
Memphis, TN
I have a Supermicro 836 that has one caddy that has a steady blue light. I've tried searching for what this means, but can't seem to find it.

[/url]

It doesn't matter if the caddy has a hard drive in it or not, the blue light is on and steady. The backplane is a SAS2-836EL1. All other blue caddy lights seem to work/flash as normal.

Any ideas?

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
Can you pull out the drive and see if the leds is still on? (if it's still on after removing the drive your backplane/the ses management chip is broken)
Do you have the same behaviour after a restart of the system?

Post more information about the system, hw/sw raid, os etc.

In adaptecs raid management software you can trigger a function for locating drives that will flash/turn on the led of the drive:
PC.JPG

ARAMP1

Apr 17, 2016
Memphis, TN
The light is on with the drive in or out and the caddy in or out empty or loaded with a hard drive. The drive works fine and operates properly. I've moved the drives around...all the slots work. Other than the light being on, there's nothing out of the ordinary.

I'm actually running Windows 10 on it.

gseeley

Mar 3, 2018
If that one drive is a SAS drive, then you need to set the RLM (Ready Light/LED Meaning) setting on the drive. SATA does not support this, only SAS. See the video I inspired for @BLinux at
for details.