Supermicro 826TQ-R800UB PDB Compatibility

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

theslim1

May 4, 2016
I'm looking to purchase a quieter PSU for my SuperMicro 826TQ-R800UB chassis. I've narrowed it to down to the PWS-920P-1R. I'm aware that the PDB units in these cases uses different pin layouts on some chassis.

My question is, has anyone used a "PDB-PT825-8824" with a PWS-920P-1R PSU without issue? Based on my research, it should work, but I haven't been able to find any specific examples with my PDB referenced. My current PSU is a PWS-801-1R, which appears to have the same pin layout / shape as the 920P, So I'm thinking I should be ok?

EDIT- The PSU does in fact work with the above PDB.

Last edited:

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
I think you are referring to SuperMicro 826TQ-R8000UB chassis. If you want a quieter chassis, stay away from PWS-920P-1R. -SQ are the ones that are quiet. Even if you have a quier PSU, you still have the chassis fans to contend with.

Here is the link to the PDBs on SM site. I'll let someone more knowledgeable provide the guidance on PDB and compatibility with various PWS. AFAIK, upto 921P, it should be compatible. 1K28 and larger ones are most likely not compatible.

https://www.supermicro.com/products/nfo/files/power_supply/PSU_cableList.pdf

theslim1

May 4, 2016
Thanks, I've read that the 920P is quite a bit quieter than the 800W power supplies I have now, but not as quiet as the SQ. I've already replaced the case fans with Noctua fans, so I'm just dealing with the PSU now. I did find a reference build on the Supermicro site that shows the PDB I have being used with the 920P, So I think I'm ok..

funkywizard

mmm.... bandwidth.
Jan 15, 2017
USA
ioflood.com
The 825 PDB in there should support the relevant PSUs under 1000w, so yes, the 920 should be fine.

Don't expect to actually draw anything near that though, the PDB is really garbage for high load. The 826 model PDB has much thicker wiring and better electronics, and can actually deliver the wattage you'd expect from the power connectors coming off of it. In most use cases this doesn't matter much (probably up to 400 watts or so will work fine), but you'll have a heck of a time getting more than one GPU running stable on the 825 PDB even with the correct adapter cables and sufficient PSU.