SuperMicro 6027 with BPN-SAS-826A Cables?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

EricCLT

Mar 27, 2019

nthu9280

Feb 3, 2016
San Antonio, TX
Did you try checking the Supermicro chassis manual?

I didn't check if the cable you linked is forward breakout or Reverse. The look almost identical. If you are planning to use mobo sata ports, you need reverse breakout cables. Replying from mobile and I don't have the part # handy.

If you have HBA, you most likely need 8087 > 8087 cables.
In either case, the 826A backplane needs 8087 on the backplane. Other side depends on what you are connecting to.

Reactions: ttvd

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
that cable will definitely not work.

your backplane has 3x SFF-8087 connectors, each carrying 4x SAS lanes. How do you plan to drive those HDDs? HBA card? RAID card? whatever SAS controller you use, you'll need a cable from that SAS controller's connectors to the SFF-8087 on the backplane. You'll likely want to get staggered length cables as the SFF-8087 on the backplane are spread out.

EricCLT

Mar 27, 2019
Actually, I was hoping to use the motherboard connection, not an LSI or Adaptec card. I'm just planning on SATA drives, not SAS. Sounds like that's not going to work?

Any recommendations for a card/cable that will work for the SATA3 drive?

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
Actually, I was hoping to use the motherboard connection, not an LSI or Adaptec card. I'm just planning on SATA drives, not SAS. Sounds like that's not going to work?

Any recommendations for a card/cable that will work for the SATA3 drive?
you only have 6x SATA connectors, of which 4 are SATA-II and 2 are SATA-III. you have 12x 3.5" bays, right? is your intent only to connect 2 SATA-III HDDs and you don't care about the other 10-bays?

you could use a reverse breakout cable from 4 of the onboard SATA connectors into one of the SFF-8087 ports on the backplane. By doing so, you'll have 4x 3.5" bays that are usable, albeit, some will only connect at SATA-II and some will connect at SATA-III, depending on which SATA ports you use.

if you're hoping to use all 12-bays, then you need some sort of SAS controller, HBA or RAID one.