supermicro 2x 2.5" drive bay for 836 chassis

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

azev

Jan 18, 2013
Supermicro | Products | Accessories | Drive Kits | MCP-220-82616-0N

I am just curious if any of you that have this rear drive bay (located underneath the power supply) have any issue with cooling ??
If I used a full height 2.5" ssd drive, I am having some cooling issue where the ssd is throwing smart alarm.
The problem seems caused by no air movement at all in that area or there's just not enough air moving over the ssd. I bought a supermicro 40mm fan and by removing the power supply distribution board, I was able to install them in the tunnel using some foam to seal the tunnel hoping to get more air pressure.
Nonetheless the result is not that much different. When filled with a full height drive, overheat still occur, so I ended up using low profile SSD which works just fine. However I am still trying to figure out how to get this to work with a full height ssd because there's not much low profile ssd that run 12gb.
Thinking maybe I need to get a much more powerfull fan to resolve the issue (the double stacked ones).

Does anyone have similar issue ? if so, how do you resolve it ?