Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i+ 12Bay 3.5" Server - $1,446.00

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

seans

Jul 11, 2021
Does this look like a good deal for the specs? $1,446.00

Supermicro G 2U X10DRU-i+ 12 Bay SAS3 Exp w/AOC-S3008L-L8e 3x PCIe x16 GPU slots 4x 10GB NIC AOC-2UR6-i4XT 2x 1000w PS" 3.5" Includes CPU/MEM

Performance Specs:

CPU: 2x E5-2690 V4
Memory: 64GB DDR4
Controller: 1x AOC-S3008L-L8e
NIC: 4x 10GBase-T ports via AOC-2UR6-i4XT

Secondary Chassis/ Motherboard specs:

Supermicro 2U 12 Bay 3.5 Single Node
Motherboard: X10DRU-i+
Blackplane: BPN-SAS3-826EL1
PCI-Expansions slots: 3x PCIe x16 GPU slots
Drive Bays: 12x 3.5" drive bays
PSU Slots: Dual 1000W Power Supply (PWS-1K02A-1R)

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
If that's a "NEW" price, yeah I'd say that's an ok deal. However, if used/refurbished...

CPUs: ~$400 for the pair
Mem: $200
Chassis/Mobo SuperMicro 6028U-TR4T+ (proprietary): ~$400 (I bought one last year at $350 shipped)
NIC: ~$50

So overall you could build the machine for 2/3rd the cost - or even less if you bundle it from a single seller.

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
Price is inflated by 40% - 50% compared to Apirl when I bought a similar server

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Note that you can get far cheaper CPUs and save $200 or more. Like, the E5-2650 V4: 12-cores, a bit lower clocks, for ~$200 (or less) a pair (best offer). Or, even a V3 series CPU and save even more. Those 2690s are some of the highest end - and the price curve is very high at the top end.

Also, that particular chassis can mount multiple GPUs. However, all but 1 slot is restricted to Tesla/Quadro-only cards because there is no space to plug in the power connectors ontop of consumer GPUs. The Tesla/Quadro cards have their power connectors in the back.

So, if you are buying it to stuff in several GPUs: they better be Tesla or (newer) Quadro cards.

Supermicro doesn't really have a (low-cost bare bones < $1000) chassis to fit multiple consumer GPUs - if that's your goal. There's a few Asrock Rack chassis that can though, I think around the Epic series ($$$ to build out).

If you really want multiple consumer GPUs in a semi-ready-built Supermicro chassis, then you'd be better off going for a Supermicro 3U or 4U chassis - like an SC836 or SC846 (and there are some with less drive bays for cheaper).

seans

Jul 11, 2021
Thanks for the quick replies. I plan to use this to upgrade my 10 year old unraid box. It will be mostly used for storage and VM's.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Do you want 1u version of this server? I can sell that for much lower price.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I think that's how you spell o-v-e-r-k-i-l-l then. ;) The deal you posted has too many premium prices to be used just as a Storage and VM box.

Are you looking for a ready-made server, so you aren't dealing with building? Yes, there's a premium for that - but there are far cheaper deals though.

You can get Supermicro 2Us with 12x 3.5" bays a lot cheaper, with X10 dual LGA2011 motherboards.

I recommend going to and playing with TheServerStore.com's "Shop by Brand" to start, ordered by Price Low-to-High. They have a pretty good listing of different chassis combinations on that site. I can't recommend buying a whole system from them though as they very much overcharge for CPU and RAM add-ons - like more than double the price! They also charge a bit high for shipping compared to what I've paid for boxing and shipping from The UPS Store. Not to mention taxes...

Once you narrow down the machine design you like, then go hit up eBay for complete systems of that model number.

Or...

Just make a posting in the Chassis forum here of what your priorities are... 64GB ram... 16, 20, 28 cores... DDR4 fast mem, DDR3 ram... 12x, 16x, 8x drive bays... GPU slots or not... 2U, 3U, 4U...

And we can come up with design to fit your budget. For a lot less than that price in the OP!

seans

Jul 11, 2021
I think that's how you spell o-v-e-r-k-i-l-l then. ;) The deal you posted has too many premium prices to be used just as a Storage and VM box.

Are you looking for a ready-made server, so you aren't dealing with building? Yes, there's a premium for that - but there are far cheaper deals though.

You can get Supermicro 2Us with 12x 3.5" bays a lot cheaper, with X10 dual LGA2011 motherboards.

I recommend going to and playing with TheServerStore.com's "Shop by Brand" to start, ordered by Price Low-to-High. They have a pretty good listing of different chassis combinations on that site. I can't recommend buying a whole system from them though as they very much overcharge for CPU and RAM add-ons - like more than double the price! They also charge a bit high for shipping compared to what I've paid for boxing and shipping from The UPS Store. Not to mention taxes...

Once you narrow down the machine design you like, then go hit up eBay for complete systems of that model number.

Or...

Just make a posting in the Chassis forum here of what your priorities are... 64GB ram... 16, 20, 28 cores... DDR4 fast mem, DDR3 ram... 12x, 16x, 8x drive bays... GPU slots or not... 2U, 3U, 4U...

And we can come up with design to fit your budget. For a lot less than that price in the OP!
Thank you so much. That's exactly what I needed to hear. I will do more research and post in the Chassis forum.

Reactions: eduncan911

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
I think it will be cheaper if you buy this case with bidding, and it is a 3u Dell Compellent Series 40 Storage Enclosure Xeon E5540 (x1) 16GB RAM No HDDs | eBay and build the server yourself after procuring motherboard.
That's some really really old, slow, and very power-hungry tech. Also, no drive bay cages, etc. Also, the Intel SPECTRA/Meltdown exploit mitigations for those Xeons I measured a slowdown of 32% !!!

If the OP was wanting a complete system for storage, and VMs, I wouldn't recommend that - since it only has 4 cores and maxes out at 6 cores total.

Hence why I suggest for them to post in the Storage forum and we can all make recommendations.