Supermicro 2028U-TN24R4T+ (24x NVMe 2U)

Discussion in 'For Sale/ For Trade/ Want to Buy' started by AJXCR, Oct 18, 2017.

1. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

Alright, I've been toying around with a few DIY NVMe options and have found that my Supermicro SuperServer 2028U-TN24R4T+ machine is no longer receiving the level of use that it previously was (briefly). Consequently, I'm listing it for sale as a bare bones chassis in perfect condition.

Supermicro requires that dealers package this chassis with a minimum of 2x CPU's, memory, and NVMe SSD's, so the option to purchase the machine as a true bare bones chassis is a rarity.

$3000 + Shipping (Server will ship in original box with all original packaging)

More information at link below:
    Supermicro | Products | SuperServers | 2U | 2028U-TN24R4T+

I don't have a new pictures handy at the moment, but the server can be seen in the top of the following picture (PM me for personal contact information):

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Craig Rhyne

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018 at 4:39 PM
    msvirtualguy, frogtech and K D like this.
  2. Robert Townley

Robert Townley New Member

Craig, not sure if that means this comes with the RAM and NVMe. If so, how much RAM? How big are the NVMe drives?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Aestr

Aestr Active Member

He mentions it's barebones, so no RAM or drives (otherwise it would be long gone:)).

When he mentioned Supermicro normally forcing you to buy it fully configured he was just pointing out that the only way to get these as barebones is secondhand.

4. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

Correct! When I was trying to get my hands on one of these machines I found that doing so without spending approximately $10K for the absolute minimum configuration required to actually purchase the chassis was pretty much impossible. Supermicro refuses to sell the individual components required to build this setup (e.g. the NVMe capable 24x 2U backplane, 2x PEX9765 NVMe expanders, UIO case, motherboard, etc) unless they are replacement components headed into a rebuilt machine. This is strictly enforced.. I learned the hard way. Unlike most items which I've found can often be had via eBay with a little patience, I've yet to see the components unique to this machine for sale on the second hard market.. ever. In fact, I had a spare X10DRU-i+ sitting around unused for nearly a year until I recently re-purposed for DIY..

Thanks,
    Craig

5. CookiesLikeWhoa

Dang where was this a year ago when I picked mine. He's right though, SM will not let these go without them being preconfigured. I got lucky with mine when they had a shortage on DDR4 and SSD's. Was able to pick it up with just CPU's. Still cost $6.5k, but not the 10K it should have been.

This is a screaming deal folks.

AJXCR likes this.
  6. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

7. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

I've been away from the forum for a while, but still have and would be interested in selling the system above. Pricing has been reduced, buyer pays shipping and any associated fees (Paypal, customs, etc).

I would be happy to include other supporting components (processors, memory, drives, etc) at buyer's request.

8. muhfugen

muhfugen Member

If you shop around enough you might actually be willing to find a company willing to break policy. A few years ago I was thinking about building a JBOD box and wanted the power controller SM sells which has a IPMI interface. It was only sold as a part of building a complete system, but I did find one company (**** if i remember who) who was willing to sell it to me alone.

9. AJXCR

AJXCR Active Member

Noted, and I've shared the same experience when it comes to a number of other components, but in this case my and others' experiences (to the extent of my knowledge) have been very much unanimous.. Even with all but one of the components in hand (sourced separately), I was unable to find an AD who could coax the appropriate nvme backplane out of Supermicro without proof of a numbers matching system and a broken component in hand... At the time, their stance on these systems was very much like that of Rolex & spare parts.. No unproven "non-replacement" parts out the door.. period.