Supermicro 1U converting to redundant power supply

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
Is it as simple as swapping out the PDUs and buying two new slimmer PSs?

PigLover

Jan 26, 2011
And also the rear window and PSU carrier..

Assuming you are willibg to buy used off eBay its generally cheaper to swap out the chassis and sell the old one.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would suggest @PigLover has a wise course of action.

If you have a chassis with a single PSU in a redundant PSU capable chassis then you can simply buy and plug in the second PSU.

You will also need to ensure you have parts like the power distribution board and proper cabling to the chassis. That depends on the chassis used.

Given used chassis pricing, it is usually cheaper/ easier to just ebay the old and new chassis.

J--

Aug 13, 2016
@Netwerkz101 Thanks, I actually didn't know what I was getting until today. :) They're old Softlayer units, it's the CSE815 chassis with X9SCI-LN4F mobos. I picked up two @ $75 shipped/unit.

What's the expected price to get into a redundant chassis? I guess I shouldn't be expecting a similar deal, but it's probably worth the price of admission to get redundancy instead of scrambling to a colo site after hours.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
@J-- does your colo have A+B feeds? Adding a redundant PSU also means that you have a power distribution board. PDB's are a higher failure rate item. They also lower power efficiency.
Single or Redundant PSUs - Impact on Power Consumption
Late last year I removed one PSU from each of my servers. I just assumed that using one PSU they would consume less power. Nice to see that my assumption was correct.

Another side benefit is I have an abundance of spares. :)