Summer Is Coming...and its getting hot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
So I finished (for the most part) my garage data center. Under normal conditions (up to say outside temps of up to 90 degrees), things in the DC stay at or below 90 degrees. I'm not a fan of that temp, but the equipement doesn't seem to mind it. But we are looking at mid to upper 90's later this week and it will only be getting hotter. I have a single portable A/C unit right now, so will a second portable A/C just magically fix the problem, or should I do something else?

BThunderW

Jul 8, 2013
Canada, eh?
www.copyerror.com

vrod

Jan 18, 2015
Damn, that's some heat! We had 30 degrees last weekend here in Germany. Luckily I have a cold cellar so I stack my stuff there. Some people though are not so lucky. :D

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
Yeah - my wife calls our cellar the hell mouth - its only a semi cellar so not really cool. Moving to a a/c server rack I managed to get quite cheaply soon. Add another 200W+ consumer :(

Re OP: Depends totally on the AC unit you get and your garage ... heat dissipation rate, exhaust options, garage insulation... If the sun heats the garage up already then insulation might be more beneficial than additional cooling

Best way to manage heat is to stop producing it o/c, so have you considered that end?
A couple of hundred bucks in upgrades might save money in the long run if you have to run a/c for it

Last edited:

T_Minus

Build. Break. Fix. Repeat
Feb 15, 2015
Depends on how you have the air circulation setup and CFM of exhaust, etc...

If you pump 50*F air in front and the hot isle is 70*F and outside is 90*F you should NOT be exhausting the 70*F just to have to re-cool from 90*F.

Reactions: herby

briandm81

Aug 31, 2014
I have an update! It seems as though my A/C unit was actually going bad. I went out there and it was up to 100 degrees! Eek! The A/C was blowing super hot air. I turned it off and the temps went down to around 88, not awful. I was able to get a replacement today for $300 on CL with a dual hose configuration. The room is now a crisp 75 degrees and falling. We'll see how it does tomorrow when its 90 again, but its looking pretty good so far.

Reactions: Cool Runnings

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
Awesome that's good/bad news but at-least don't need more/bigger cooling :)

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
This is making me rethink that $8k proposal to insulate and cool my garage with a mini split a/c. One of the reasons the quote is so expensive is that the a/c company wants to run a 220 in conduit from the panel to the garage, which are located on opposite sides of the house. I already have two dedicated 20/115 circuits in the garage - I could blow insulation into the space above the garage and use a portable unit to spot cool the server rack. Could probably do it in a weekend and for under $1500, with the most expensive component being the cooler.

T_Minus

Feb 15, 2015
@CreoleLakerFan that's scary expensive for little work to be honest. Even if they trench for 1 day for conduit (~$1.5k) and the wire cost ~1k$ (unlikely for only a mini-split) and conduit cost ~$300 and distance I'm estimating and insulation $1500 and what 2 days labor for 1 person @30hr (high) $600 still seems like $8k is just completely out of this world expensive for that. All high estimates unless you're having the electrician do all of it and they're billing out at much higher rates, which is likely. You might want to try to find a handy man who charges $30/hr to do your trench, conduit, and pulling of the cables and then only electrician for hookups (that's my plan except I'm doing the handy-man stuff).

It took me two days to trench 170' and install the conduit and I had about 3hrs 'wasted' chipping through rocks in my path, and this was for 2" conduit as well as 2 more 1" conduit all at 170', 2 brought up into my network room and 1 to the power. I spent a crap load more than expected on conduit because of incorrect measurement by utility and me blindly trusting them as well as deciding last minute to throw in 1 more 1" "just in case".

With that said I'd urge you to put in 1 or 2 more conduit so you can run fiber, audio, etc in future or have spares ready to go :)

Be sure to be in a radiant barrier too if you can, it will add a chunk to the cost but should keep the cool in and hot out too.

CreoleLakerFan

Oct 29, 2013
@CreoleLakerFan that's scary expensive for little work to be honest. Even if they trench for 1 day for conduit (~$1.5k) and the wire cost ~1k$ (unlikely for only a mini-split) and conduit cost ~$300 and distance I'm estimating and insulation $1500 and what 2 days labor for 1 person @30hr (high) $600 still seems like $8k is just completely out of this world expensive for that. All high estimates unless you're having the electrician do all of it and they're billing out at much higher rates, which is likely. You might want to try to find a handy man who charges $30/hr to do your trench, conduit, and pulling of the cables and then only electrician for hookups (that's my plan except I'm doing the handy-man stuff).
The $8k was the cost for the whole project, including a mini split a/c and heater which would cool/heat the entire garage (about 600+ sq ft). They were estimating $1500 for the electrical work, $5500 for the mini-split, and the rest would have gone to the labor for cutting a trap-door in the attic over the garage and blowing insulation in.

In hindsight, I'm glad they gave me such an obnoxious quote, because if it had been $5k I probably would have just had them do it.

It took me two days to trench 170' and install the conduit and I had about 3hrs 'wasted' chipping through rocks in my path, and this was for 2" conduit as well as 2 more 1" conduit all at 170', 2 brought up into my network room and 1 to the power. I spent a crap load more than expected on conduit because of incorrect measurement by utility and me blindly trusting them as well as deciding last minute to throw in 1 more 1" "just in case".

With that said I'd urge you to put in 1 or 2 more conduit so you can run fiber, audio, etc in future or have spares ready to go :)
I had the builder put in conduit and pull strings from every wall plate back to my wiring closet upstairs. I've got four Cat5e connections from the panel to the garage, but if I ever need fiber I'll just pull out the copper and run fiber through.

Be sure to be in a radiant barrier too if you can, it will add a chunk to the cost but should keep the cool in and hot out too.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll check into that. :D

Reactions: T_Minus