Suggestions on next TrueNAS build

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SGN

Oct 3, 2016
I need your help to take final decision about my next TrueNAS build.
Right now I use SuperMicro X10SDV-2C-7TP4F with onboard storage SOC, SFP+ and 2x SATA DOM. From functionality perspective it's great. I use it just as a storage host for network storage. No VMs, now jails and no other stuff, pure storage.
The only problem In have is the age of this system. It's reaching 7 years of operation in next 2 month. Now I would think to move to a new platform, but still, I don't need anything more fancy except storage. I'm happy with TrueNAS.
In the future I'd like to have some options to add more nVME based storage, to really kick the speeds. Now I use 6xRAIDZ2 and 2x2Mirrors with SSDs for VM hosting. This would mean some extra IO, like capable HBA and this means many PCI-E lanes.

The options I see:
1. Buy new board like this -> but hey we are almost in 2024, and this board is from 2015. It's quite old.
2. Buy SM board with Atom C3758 (same as IX systems put into their mini series) with onboard 10GBE and add some HBA (they have option to host 12 SATA drives, but it's a downgrade from my existing capabilities). I have 10 SATA drives now, with mixed HDD and SSD.
3. Buy some basic board with some low level CPU and add 10GBE + HBA.
4. Any other options?

There are 2 limitation:
1. Power consumption and HEAT production. This is key. I have it in a rack, but I need to keep both at low levels.
2. Money. I don't want to spend on board + CPU + HBA more than 1000$.

Last edited: