suggestion for infastructure thread in hardware section

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
When I read "infastructure" I instantly think of servers & clients and networking, not necessarily the things that are mentioned in the first post :D

Mithril

Sep 13, 2019
When I read "infastructure" I instantly think of servers & clients and networking, not necessarily the things that are mentioned in the first post :D
Agree on possible name mismatch, also agree on request for a section/sticky covering what jd456 is talking about

jd456

Sep 16, 2020
Ok so this seems quite popular

What would be included?

I can think of
  • server room / rack cooling (ac units / air handlers, water cooling, cooled doors, room exhaust /intake fans / filters)
  • rack acessories (airflow baffles, drawers, shelves, server rails)
  • rack monitoring systems (water, smoke, intrusion, humidy, temp, ect)
  • UPS systems and battery setups
  • power distribution systems
  • Generator systems / auto transfer switches
  • TCP to serial adapers, usb to serial adapters
  • KVM systems / rack consoles

anything missing?

If infastructure is not the correct name, what is? server room / rack / power accesories?

@Patrick any thoughts?

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Love the idea, but few thoughts on this one. We have a TON of content coming this week and then I am off to Barcelona for MWC.

We try to do reviews from time to time on this stuff but it is hard.

One item to add, liquid cooling systems perhaps?

Reactions: jd456

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Love the idea, but few thoughts on this one. We have a TON of content coming this week and then I am off to Barcelona for MWC.

We try to do reviews from time to time on this stuff but it is hard.

One item to add, liquid cooling systems perhaps?
That would be a nice subforum to move my water cooling question/adventures thread to lol

Reactions: Patrick

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
I am sure in time watercooling will be a topic that gets a lot of attention. Right now it’s only practical to cool about 25kw per rack with air although so far I am mostly only doing upto about half that except for some special stuff. I can see this all changing fast with the CPU’s/GPU’s arriving and the density increasing even more.

I could imagine there is a few of us who are not electricians or HVAC people would still like to talk about the merits of DRUPS vs static UPS’s or TN-S vs TN-C-S earthing arrangements etc and that may not to be of interest to many but the more general rack of cooking topics could be.

I usually call this ‘housing’ ‘housing infrastructure’ rather than just say IT infrastructure or qualify infrastructure if just using that.