Subforum request: Smart Home/Home Automation/IoT

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
The 'difficulty' with placing it within the current layout is that it is divided into hardware (CPUs/mobos/GPUs/SSDs etc) & 'platforms' (VMware/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris etc). In essence home automation spans both categories, as it is a system including both hardware (electronic locks/cameras/monitoring etc) and software/protocols (Z-wave/X10/1-wire/ZigBee etc)

The closest comparison currently in the forums would be the DIY Server and Workstation builds, so if it had to go anywhere within the current design it would be in Hardware. A potentially more elegant option would be to include both it and DIY Server and Workstation builds in another 'systems' category. It would then give space over time to grow into a more diverse range of systems.

idea

May 19, 2011
I think "Smart Home" should be another section in addition to Hardware, Server Platforms, etc. And then broken out into:

Home Automation (Z-wave/X10/1-wire/ZigBee etc)
Lighting
Power and Light Switches
Thermostats
Audio
Security and Sensors

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I think "Smart Home" should be another section in addition to Hardware, Server Platforms, etc. And then broken out into:

Home Automation (Z-wave/X10/1-wire/ZigBee etc)
Lighting
Power and Light Switches
Thermostats
Audio
Security and Sensors
OK so that is a pretty great listing.

The big question in my mind is still do I make a full forum structure for those when there is little to no content for them. The other option is to start a forum and then split out as there is more content.

Also - what about networking for the various options? E.g. I have a Z-wave USB stick where would that go?

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I think all forum areas need a "general" classification of sorts. I didn't know where to post about the ECS LIVA... could have gone in HTPC, not really a DIY server but it is as well... I don't think there's ever a perfect solution. Though, I love the list, most of the items that I can think of have a home.