Sub 5m Cables - Any reason to go optics versus DA Twinax?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm starting the expensive process of buying cables for 10 and 40 gigE at home. Just a 14U rack so it's not like the cables need to span a mile or more.

I know that copper is easier to bend. What I'm looking for is some perspective on latency and power consumption of using copper versus short range optics.

Chuckleb

Mar 5, 2013
Minnesota
I don't think that copper latency is much of an issue or else IB would be fiber everywhere. The guys that have that gear are nuts and money is no object.

I am hoping my new gear comes in this week so I can start some copper testing. I am going to see if I can get the Brocade cards to talk to my Mellanox ConnectX3 using the QSFP breakout cables. If I can and can build a vswitch, will post results. This could be ideal for a small rack like you mention since 1 to 4 cables are cheap.

mrkrad

Oct 13, 2012
The cabling of DAC is a beast since the cables aren't as flexible, less pretty!

Also power consumption is higher and compatibility is questionable between certain brands; otherwise i've not had any issues except with 5Meter length, and the neatness of not being able to bend the cables as nicely as CAT6 or fiber OM3 cables.