Stuck in Limbo Land of needing both High Core & High Clock Speed...

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
Exactly this. Even the Xeon ES topic is dying down in terms of popularity and relevance. That's the benefit that competition brings as a whole. Given a few more years these Xeons will be more than affordable even with the V4 versions. Considering how Intel is also going the direction of not allowing Xeons on X299 without a C622 chipset also means that they are no longer supporting Xeons on consumer HEDT.

No that's not correct nor accurate. Intel was only dominant because since 2012 AMD largely retreated from the server market until recently when they are competitive with their EPYC platform. In the absence of competition that's why Intel was "dominant". Not because of their "reliability track record". Also your experience with AMD Opteron's was probably on a pre-TLB Barcelona Opteron. Those TLB issues have long been fixed and are in the past.
I sincerely hope EPYC becomes successful and regain the server/workstation market share as competition spurs innovation. With that said, it will take a while for AMD to regain its footing in mission-critical space but hopefully EPYC will change that. Intel still do have the chipset advantage as it is still a in-house design vs the outsourced chipset that AMD uses.

As for my next workstation, I've settled on two XEON 2696 V4 (44 cores) on Supermicro X10DAX platform.

traderjay

Mar 24, 2017
That's incorrect. Both AMD and Intel design their own chipsets in-house. If a motherboard manufacturer uses third party controllers doesn't infer that the chipset itself is outsourced. The third party controller may be outsourced but the chipsets are designed by Intel and AMD respectively. If your referring to this:

AMD’s Zen chipset reportedly faces a costly design hurdle

That was just a rumor in itself that the chipset may have run into issues with the third party USB 3.1 controller. Even if parts of the chipset were outsourced such as USB 3.1 that's because AMD may not have an native USB 3.1 to do so. So the design and chipset advantage isn't really an advantage. ASMedia is a division of ASUS and was the first to implement USB 3.1 in 2015 prior to Skylake so the third party implementation is still competitive and relevant.
Third party chipset performance (SATA, USB etc) and often inferior to intel's native implementation, unless things have changed. AMD need to get back in the game and prove themselves in mission-critical applications for a few years before they can be at even level playing field as Intel.

I was an AMD fan from the Athlon to AMD64 days, and ended when the Bulldozer fiasco came out.