Storage Spaces with different size HDD's

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cutha

Sep 24, 2016
Canada
Hi,

I am going to setup storage spaces direct and I will have 16 4TB HDD's between 4 nodes. For most of the storage I would like to use dual parity.

I have some 3TB drives and if I add them to the pool will it limit the 4TB drives to only 3TB of usable space?

Thanks.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
the answer is it depends...

how many 3 TB disks will you be adding? and what is the column count?

if the disk count exceeds the column count * interleave) then you should be ok. if not you will run into the issue that you just worried about.

Chris

Cutha

Sep 24, 2016
Canada
if the disk count exceeds the column count * interleave) then you should be ok.
Do you mean total disk count (3TB and 4TB) or just the added 3TB? I think I have enough 3TB drives to do 12 or 16. I was planning on using Dual Parity and I am not 100% sure on if I should just stick with a column count of 7 or if I should max it out.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Parity is calculated on a node basis for S2D

you should be good if you keep the interleave to 1.

Chris

Net-Runner

Feb 25, 2016
As long as you keep the number of smaller drives equal in each S2D host and the column count does not exceed the number of drives (which is not your issue since AFAIK maximum column count is around 8) you should be able to completely utilize all the drives storage.