Storage Spaces Monitoring/Alerts

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

burr

Aug 11, 2012
Birmingham, AL
I'm playing around with storage spaces on 2012r2 and have found decent performance what what I want to do.

My question to you guys running it day to day is how are you monitoring the pools for hardware issues? I've seen a few articles talking about a power shell script, but that looked to be for scale out file servers mostly. Some people talked about using operations manager, but that seems overkill for a stand alone server.

I optimally would like to get an email alert if something goes awry so it can be resolved.

I'm going to keep digging around but please chime in on how you are monitoring storage spaces.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
There are no real perfmon counters/eventlog entries that you can use to do this.

If you are using thin volumes there is a for the storage pool to tell you that you are over the threshold (default:70%). but that is really it for eventlog

Physical disks fail just like standlone volumes. you can get those from the eventlog too.

mostly I have some custom scripts that we run to get us values and upload them to a DB. and we report off of that. mostly just get-storagepool -> values to DB.

Chris