Storage Space - lost virtual disk

Discussion in 'Windows Server, Hyper-V Virtualization' started by BestGear, Mar 21, 2020.

1. BestGear

BestGear Member

Guys

If you have any ideas, it would be very much appreciated... bear with me....

Been running a 2012R2 storage space pool of six 3TB drives for years - no issues. The server OS was upgraded to server2019 around a year ago, and the storage space was not upgraded at the time of the OS upgrade.

One physical drive started to show smart errors (cautions) so wanted to replace failed drive.

I upgraded the storage space to 2019 level. This worked (or at least gave no errors and continued to work fine).

I added a new 3TB drive to the pool - which it appeared to do, again without error.

Several hours later, I attempted to remove the failing drive, and it started the process.... but before it completed, the server blue screened.

This server has *never* blue screened - so no reason to believe it is hardware failure. Oh, the box has plenty of RAM too.

Anyway - now the server is back up - the virtual disk has dissapeared.

Get-StoragePool shows the friendlyname as primodial, ok, healthy,isPrimordial=true,not read only and the correct capacity (ie seven times 3TB capacity).

Disk manager shows only one 3tb drive - which is the 3tb drive that it had started to remove from the pool. The other drives are not visible in disk manager, but ARE all visible when you check with get-Physicaldisk, so are all there.

Server Manager/storage pools show Primordial with physical disk assigned is a single drive - which is the one that was awaiting removal.

Before I attempt any manoeuvres to try and repair this, anyone have some advice as how to approach this fix?

Blowing the drive away and restoring data is an option (as its all backed up) but time is against me on that one as the restore will take ages.

Any advice is very much valued and appreciated.

David

2. BestGear

BestGear Member

Hi....

I tried ReclaiMe (no license purchase) - just to see what it sees on the drives... and it shows two virtual disks - both named with the disk volume I was expecting.

The first one says damaged-repairable but the second is healthy and intact.

Shame the tool wont fix it in place - looks like you pay the $$$$ to copy the files off to another storage location.

I have a backup, so aint paying to get it back, but cant believe there is not a sensible way to recover in place?!??!

David

3. BestGear

BestGear Member

I think I have spotted something that may be of help... the drive I tried to remove, is showing in get-physicaldisk as "CanPool True" and the othe r six spindles are all sitting with OperationalStatus as "Starting, OK" - any thoughts?

upload_2020-3-22_17-9-57.png

4. gregsachs

gregsachs Active Member

5. BestGear

BestGear Member

Hi, and thanks for the reply.

Repair-SpacesConfiguration - weirdly, this gives the error below:

upload_2020-3-22_18-14-12.png

I am surprised by this - running on an update to date Server2019 DC instance. I cannot figure out why its offline as all drives are there - with the only noted (above) detail of six drives stating "starting, ok"

Next - the storage space IS flagged as primordial - which it "went" after the blue screen reboot....

upload_2020-3-22_18-17-23.png

So - I wonder if the "starting, ok" is a red herring... but that would explain why server manager sees the pool - see below....

upload_2020-3-22_18-18-12.png

Please note: the physical disks only show the drive that was being prepped for removal - and the drives that above show as "starting, ok" are not listed as assigned - even in the primordial.

upload_2020-3-22_18-19-4.png

Weird - having spent this afternoon reading online, I fear the zapping the drives and restoring data may be the way forward... but live in hope that something can be done - especially as ReclaiMe shows the pool and virtual disk DATA1 (single within that pool) as being healthy.

upload_2020-3-22_18-22-45.png

The top DATA1 instance, shows the "disk missing or bad metadata" - that shows the config with the drive I was trying to remove, removed, and the new drive not added.

The second DATA 1 listed, shows the pool with the original 6 drives, and the newly added drive missing.

The drive I was removing was still operational but had shown a single relocated sector, hence I was getting it out before trouble appeared...

I think the "OperationalStatus" set to "starting, OK", for drives is a curve ball as the OperationalStatus for the primordial is "OK".

Any suggestions!??!?!

David

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
  6. gregsachs

gregsachs Active Member

I'm just not sure, sorry!

7. BestGear

BestGear Member

Well, after many hours, I am looking at zapping the drives and going for a restore....

I hate giving up - I would have much preferred to learn from the experience!

Bottom line is, the drives are sitting as "Starting, OK" as operational status, and that is what I believe is preventing them coming online.

I dont believe there are any hardware issues - there were none before adding a disk, and other rools all see the drives, and SMART reports clean.

If anyone has some last minute thoughts, they would be appreciated (other than the advice NOT to use Storage Spaces...).

David