Storage Options for big Home Server build (2 SAN's, 2 Storage Hosts, up to 4 compute hosts)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Chi11ed

May 20, 2023
Good day all,

I am looking for some advice and options for how to best configure my incoming home server rack upgrades.
Let's start with the current :
I have a 42U server rack in my basement, with sufficient cooling and 60A 240V power. I already run a few noisy, power-hungry machines ;) so both sound and power are not a huge issue. I have Unifi networking with a 16p10GB core switch and a 48p PEO Switch
Dell R720 (Lets call this Dell1) (16c, 32Thread and 256GB RAM, 2 x 10GBE LACP)
  • 7 x 5TB SFF drives in RAID 5 (75% used) : Backups, Family Photos, Videos, Plex Media, Software, Video Editing archive, Security Camera storage and some other bit and bobs
  • 5 x 1TB SSD Drives in RAID 5 (75% used) : slower VM Drives, Nextcloud vhdx, in progress video editing
  • 1 x 1TB NVME SSD (75%) used : Fast VM Drives
The server is running approximately 30 HyperV VMs with varying tasks, including several Nextcloud instances for various groups, some game servers, mail servers, Plex, DC's etc.
I also have a MS Action Pack so MS products are available and I have System Centre VMM setup too.

I am going to be able to get a number of items from my work that I want for current/future state as I will not be able to get hardware like this again (not without a decent investment)

SANs
Servers
  • Dell R720 (Lets call this Dell2) (16c, 32 threads, RAM to be configured (256GB DDR3 Possible), 2 x 10GBE
  • 2 x Fijitsu 1U Servers. Up to 24cores, up to 256GB DDR3 RAM
  • 1 x Fjitus 1U up to 20core and 256GB DDR4 RAM
  • 1 Lenovo 1U up to 36 core and 256GB DDR4 RAM
This is my current list. It's heavily overkill for my current needs but as said, this is a once-off opportunity. I will need to see how much RAM i can get but the DDR3 server, 256GB should be easy. The 2 DDR4 servers will be a bit harder to get 256GB or more.

I currently am testing the new Dell R720 with the HP MSA and soon to be the NetApp to
  1. make sure they work
  2. figure out how I want to configure things
How to set it all up

My initial thoughts were to move the current SFF drives from Dell1 to the HP MSA and then to throw a bunch of other drives I can get (i have about 24 1TB LFF drives) into the Netapp. Important Data is thought to be sync'd between the 2 for now, until I run out of storage.

Then to setup the 2 x Dell R720's in a Windows cluster, pointing to the 2 SANs as a fully redundant environment but then i have the thought of using True Nas core, but then I'm limited to just 1 host, no clusters. Should I be looking elsewhere?

In addition, how should i set up the storage to the best for the virtual servers? Thoughts are to use 3 of the 4 servers above for HyperV Hosts and the 4th for a Docker Host (seeing as Docker cannot be virtualized on HyperV). I can setup ISCSI from True NAS to my hosts, will provide the best performance?

Alternatively, I can use Fibre Channels on the HP MSA and fill that with SSDs for the HyperV machines and have a direct fiber connection to my primary hosts possibly?

Please help me figure out how to setup my future storage solution.
Thank you

Last edited: