Storage chassis options

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

freebsdrules

Aug 16, 2017
Hi all -

I currently have a storage server that resides in a 3U supermicro chassis with 16x 3.5" bays. I run FreeNAS and it's great. I thought it was more than enough storage but of course, that's becoming not the case as time goes on. And I've already upgraded to 6TB disks so I'd prefer not to go just upgrading the size.

So, that being said, I'd ideally like to add a chassis that is literally just drives that can connect to my existing server to create additional volumes as I add drives. What am I looking for here? Forgive my naivety and thanks in advance!

K D

Dec 24, 2016
Depending on the number of drives you need you can go with a supermicro 826/836/846/847 chassis with an expander backplane and a JBOD board.

MCP-280-84701-0N - Cable to convert the backplane internal to an external sas port

Add an external hba to your existing server and connect it to the external port in the new JBOD

Last edited:

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Those are probably due for a refresh. 2010!

Nowadays, using the JBOD board make sense. Also, you can find a lot of JBOD/ SAS expander chassis on ebay. I would get SAS2 or SAS3 enclosures only at this point.

Reactions: T_Minus